Montana MMJ Patients Fear Difficulty In Finding Provider After Ruling Takes Effect

Robert Celt

Medical marijuana patients are left scrambling to find providers after a recent ruling from the Montana Supreme Court.

The decision kept in place restrictions to limit providers to three patient and reporting of doctors who prescribe more than 25 patients a year.

Medical marijuana patients, young and old, paid the clinic a visit on Wednesday for a prescription.

But even with the doctor's recommendation patients fear they won't be able to find a provider.

"I'm pretty emotional about this," Barry said.

Barry, who is only revealing his first name, has Multiple Sclerosis. He says for nearly four decades the disease has caused him severe pain and immobility.

For years, Barry relied on pain pills, but now he says medical marijuana is his saving grace.

When asked if he couldn't get this herb, what would happen, Barry responded; "I'd probably be really addicted to opiates" and that his sleep would be "minimal."

Dr. Mark Ibsen prescribes him marijuana. But as restrictions on the drug tighten, patients like Barry fear they will lose access.

Ibsen also prescribes marijuana to people with Crohn's Disease, cancer and spinal disorders.

"It helps people get a little bit of distance from the severity of their illness," Isben said.

Opponents argue marijuana -- like any medicine -- should be tested and controlled before it's prescribed to patients.

Ibsen says that argument is based on politics and if the drug helps people manage pain without harmful side effects, he should be able to prescribe marijuana.

"I'm upset, I don't like people to suffer when they don't have to for useless reasons," Isben said. "If I could stomp out cancer too, I would do that too, but this something I can make a difference with today because the truth is marijuana hurts no one and helps all these people. Let's let them have it."

Ibsen himself will face losing his license for alleged over-prescribing of pain medication at a hearing in late March.

Meanwhile, patients are pushing a ballot initiative to improve access to a drug they say is worth fighting for.

Billings' only medical marijuana dispensary is set to close Thursday.

mmj-doctors-georgia-cannabis-registry.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Montana MMJ Patients Fear Difficulty In Finding Provider After Ruling Takes Effect
Author: Aja Goare
Photo Credit: None found

Re: Montana MMJ Patients Fear Difficulty In Finding Provider After Ruling Takes Effec

Montana has some gorgeous mountains and long rolling hills - but there is price to be paid when your state is filled with ignorant, arrogant, bigoted people. Sorry to the lovely people who live in Montana. I have met a handful of personable people from Billings, but even those showed their true colors after a few drinks. In my personal experience, including being told to leave town while purchasing fast food in Butte, Montana citizens have created a hell on earth out of a hunter's paradise.

Back
Top Bottom