Must Have for New Headshop

Hemp papers, magnifying glasses and pipes without a carb. ;)

cleaners for bong/pipes.
cigs.
all papers (specially the ones with metal strip)
incense.
those fake cigarette one hitters.
scales
hash press
real nice magnifying glass

Great suggestions so far!!

Based on my personal preference, these are what I like most in a headshop:

Glass blades - those things are so hard to find (at least in my area)

Good selection of papers - lots of flavored, lots of non-flavored, and different sizes. Headshops seem to carry mostly 1 1/4", but I personally like the regular 1" ones (Zig Zag size). It bums me out when headshops don't have any nifty 1" papers and I'm stuck with plain old Zig Zag or Rizla's (don't get me wrong, I love both those papers, it's just nice to have variety).

Oil vials - I'm sure I'm not the only one that goes through these things like crazy! I grab a handful of 1g vials every time I go to the headshop!

Then there's the obvious goodies - carry a plethora of pipes/bongs/vaporizers :yummy:

:goodluck:

Grinders, kif boxes, lighters, 'glass screens', ashtrays, metal pipe screens, vaporizers, spare stems, bowls on stem, both sizes glass-on-glass bowls, pokers, cork knobs (or equivalent), fancy airtight glass jars, crutches, bluntwraps, cones, pipe tobacco, loose cigarette tobacco, hookas, art glass pieces, stash boxes.

That's all I can think of that wasn't already mentioned. You can add a lot of other random stuff that'll probably sell just fine, like throwing stars, knives, swords, stoner comics, cigars, tarot and other occult items, bandannas, posters, black light stuff, new age crystals, figurines, fantasy sculpture, and just about anything that would sell at Spencer's. The list goes on and on, but you don't need any of that fluff to be a successful head shop.

You probably already know this, but I'll throw it out anyway. Running a head shop can be legally problematic in some ways. Laws and local enforcement may vary, but most states take a dim view of head shops and you will need to maintain the fiction that all of this is intended for use in a legal fashion with cig tobacco. You will probably call it a smoke shop or something. You will always refer to a bong as a water pipe and if a customer breaks this rule you will ask them to refrain or leave. If your state is a med legal, you will probably still not want anyone to talk about it in your shop, nor will you tolerate discussion of cannabis in any way. You will have to watch for 'underage purchaser' stings so you will have to be super strict and have a staff that you can trust to keep it correct at all times.

Of course, as I mentioned, actual conditions on the ground may vary. Where I live in the Eugene/Springfield area of Oregon, the above is a fine description of both head shops and grow shops. They are never combined, and you would not sell High Times in either.

On the other hand, I was recently in southern Oregon, and found a headshop in a decent sized city that broke all the rules. And I mean all. Very openly. I was surprised, but the people at the counter seemed completely unconcerned. This is not a new shop either. I suspect they maintain their fiction at the "med-use and legal tobaccos only" level and local LEOs are OK with that. But I don't know. It was shocking. I am sure the difference between, say Northern California vs. Kansas would be greater. So you need to know your area too.

Can't think of anything else so I'll shut up now.

:peace:

Good strong coffee... ive always wanted to hang out at a coffee/head shop. With free internet of course. :p

What type of city and neighborhood is this in? Can we know what state (or country)?

Good strong coffee... ive always wanted to hang out at a coffee/head shop. With free internet of course. :p

What type of city and neighborhood is this in? Can we know what state (or country)?

Yeah, that sounds awesome.

Thanks for all the info. The shop is going to be in upstate NY. I previously owned a store for about 11 years and sold a lot of the spencer type stuff and sold pipes and similar for a while. But the 2 malls I was located in threatened me with legal action if I didn't stop selling the pipes. It wasn't listed in my lease so i had to stop. I don't really plan on carrying all the spencer type stuff, just smoke related. I am going to be set up in a downtown setting and am concerned of how the law is going to respond. I don't think there is much they can do legally, but they could harrass me and the customers to drive me away. Not sure if they would try something like that or not. I guess I 'm going to find out. I heard in other areas they will park a cruiser out front just to keep people away. Do you think I should be in a more secluded spot or right on the main drag? Any other tips for dealing with the law?

tips for dealing with the Law:

1: dont do any thing stupid.. (IE dont sell drugs in the head shop)
2:check any one who looks youngs ID when they enter, not just if they are going to buy. Treat it like an adult book store. Your under 18 your not allowed in. Period.
3:maintain the store. Keep It looking clean and legit. Dont plaster the store front with Pot leafs. Make it know who you are but dont flaunt it.

I feel like that should keep you pretty well covered.

stickers and t-shirts with your company logo and or name, thats free advertising. maybe an assortment of beverages for the cotten mouth and stuff to munch on . ask customers if there are things that you dont stock- [things that are asked for by more than several people]- maybe offer a catalog of non stock items.

Depending on what part of up State your in, things sure are getting more mellow concerning weed. I went back to Orange Co after 15 years being away and was pleasantly surprised by the change in climate. (but hotdamn, it sure was still humid !)

Back
Top Bottom