N.J. Doctor Edwin Bliss Struve Says He's 'Guilty As Sin' In Marijuana Bust

MedicalNeed

Chatham police paid a visit to former doctor Edwin Bliss Struve's Dellwood Avenue home in April 2010 at the request of neighbors, and returned with a search warrant in early May to find 58 marijuana plants.

The New Jersey doctor pleaded guilty and is expected to be supervised in a mental health program after his sentencing next month.

When asked whether he understood the ramifications of pleading guilty to possession of marijuana, Struve answered, "Guilty as sin!"

The Daily Record reports Struve and defense lawyer Robert Dunn said that Struve used marijuana to relieve the effects of glaucoma and mild brain damage that Struve said he suffered after being manually choked by police in Mississippi years ago.

"I was smoking 30 joints a day and not getting much done a day," Struve said to Superior Court Judge David Ironson in Morristown, of life before his arrest last year.

Dunn and Morris County assistant prosecutors Joseph Napurano and LaJuan Tucker worked out an agreement under which Struve will be supervised on probation in the office's mental health program. The emphasis is on counseling and staying mentally-healthy through the assistance of medication and social service programs.

According to the Trentonian, the program uses therapy, counseling and medication to address psychiatric problems behind the commission of crimes.

If the judge accepts the agreement on sentencing day, set for April 15, Struve will be on probation for five years. He will have to regularly see his psychiatrist and accept medication if recommended, and release his medical records to probation and the prosecutor's office if requested.

According to the Daily Record, Struve, board-certified in internal medicine, has said he studied pediatrics at Harvard and that he practiced medicine in Peru, Botswana, an Indian reservation in Mississippi and in New Guinea, where he contracted malaria.

"I've been cultivating them ever since I came home from the Army in '68," Struve told the judge of his marijuana plant-growing habit.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: newjerseynewsroom.com
Author: BOB HOLT
Copyright: 2011 newjerseynewsroom.com
Website: https://www.https//www.newjerseynew...ruve-says-hes-guilty-as-sin-in-marijuana-bust

Back
Top Bottom