Napa County to require ID cards for users of medical marijuana

NoDirtWeed4Me

Napa County may not have any medical marijuana clubs, but the Board of Supervisors recently adopted a program requiring identification cards for users of medical marijuana and their caregivers.

All California counties have been required by state law to put such programs in place.

County Health Director Dr. Karen Smith said a voter-passed initiative in 1996 known as the Compassionate Use Act made the use of pot by those with certain diseases legal.

It remains illegal under federal law, however, and therein lies the rub.

John Bench, a Napa County resident, questioned the fees for the card, when cards are not available locally and wondered if the feds would have access to state databases that will track those who get cards.

"You should first provide a way to get the medication," he said, noting Napa County has no facility to purchase medically required marijuana. "I can get my prescriptions filled at Long's, but for marijuana, I have to go out of town."

Napa County Director of Health and Human Services Randy Snowden said since marijuana remains an illegal and controlled substance, the county has no way of relaxing the process.

Under the new policy, a Napa County resident with doctor's approval can identify himself or herself and receive a photo ID card that allows for access to medical marijuana.

The cost of obtaining the card for a non-Medi-Cal recipient is $63.74. A Medi-Cal recipient will pay $31.87. A small portion of each of the fees goes to the state of California.

Locally, HHS will process the applications, produce the photos for the cards, collect fees, issue the cards and maintain all records.

The cards were not required in the original law, but were added later through legislation when law enforcement agencies said they had no way to differentiate those with a legitimate need from illegal pot smokers.

When Bench asked Dr. Smith if the information would be available to other agencies, she replied, "There is some risk. Some of us have protested it."

Source: Napa Register (California, U.S.)
Author: JAY GOETTING, Register Staff Writer
Date: Sunday, October 23, 2005 2:53 PM PDT
Copyright: Copyright © 2005 Lee Enterprises

Back
Top Bottom