Need seed choice tips

Hermit

I need some recommendations from the group here at 420.

I am finally retired and am currently living in a small apartment. My top concern is the smell while growing. I have searched several seed stores and only a few reported on the smell while growing.

I will be doing a small grow and I would hate to have a nice grow going only to have the neighbors complain about me raising skunks. :rolleyes3

There are so many great looking possibilities. So, any good and bad reports will help.

Thanks in advance,
Hermit

After reading a bunch of reviews I have found the reports varied greatly. Some growers report a strain has little of no smell and others report it as being strong. Any idea on why or what causes this?

I found most reports on these strains to be hopeful...
(From Nirvana web site)
Swiss Cheese (a lot of reports low smell)
PPP (Pure Power Plant)
White Rhino (the smell was hardly noticable)(Lemon Grass)
Ak48 (Strong but no Skunk smell)

Any thought guys?

Nirvana has very good seeds I've grown out a few of his strains. I personally have never had any plants that smell bad; the skunk phenos are said to have the most smell. I'm growing out c99 X pineapple X grapefruit and the smell is fruity sweet but its a pure sativa so it stretches quite a bit. Others with no noticeable smell I've grown are WW, Jamaican Pearl, Swazi Red, Black Pearl with the TF, PPP, Salmon Creek being the smelliest. There is some kinda contraption growers use to take out the smell though, I never used it so don't know what it's called but sure it's mentioned here in a thread somewhere. I keep my grow in a back closet so visitors don't come near the area anyways hope this helps. :high-five:

Welcome Hermit...You can go the route you're going, trying to find a odorless strain or you could purchase a carbon filter. I really don't know much about them. I have never used them either. I think some of our sponsors sell them.

Thanks Vampire for the input. I know about the Odor control Gels and will use them if needed. I just do not want to overwhelm the gel. Maybe get a mild one to mix with the grows smell. Nothing too strong so we do not get tired of it too quick.

I'm guessing WW is White Widow. It is one the Nirvana reviews say is strong but not a weed like smell. It is one I had though about. Thanks again.

Thanks QueenTokelove for the input. The area I'm setting up is kind of small for a Carbon filter. The Odor Gels will have to do.

After reading a bunch of reviews I have found the reports varied greatly. Some growers report a strain has little of no smell and others report it as being strong. Any idea on why or what causes this?

Most strains these days are mutts, expect multiple phenotypes - with multiple characteristics (including odor type/level).

Add the fact that some growers visit their grows, or at least are away much of the day, while others live with their grows (and therefore notice that their garden is producing a strong smell at about the same time that the guy living two houses down notices the same thing).

Ahhh Hermit: I just read an article that states these bulbs remove odor: Fresh2.com

Don't expect those to kill the odor of cannabis in full bloom (or, often, the odor that a decent crop produces while still in vegetative). They're more aptly suited for placing one in a bathroom where the vent is inadequate.

I would look into a carbon filter, if I were living in a small apartment. I would go for a carbon filter so none of the neighbors no anything. The less people that know the better off you are IMHO.

I would look into a carbon filter, if I were living in a small apartment. I would go for a carbon filter so none of the neighbors no anything. The less people that know the better off you are IMHO.

I did mention this as well but he said he would rather go with the gel. Never heard of a gel, what is that about? Learn something everyday on here, I love it.

I'm guessing ONA gel.

I've always felt it was a cover-up, as opposed to something like carbon filtration (which seems to "latch onto" or absorb the odor, since you can refresh the stuff by baking it) or ozone generation (which destroys the odors).

The thing with cover-ups (IMHO) is that they aren't guaranteed to fool a K9 unit (unless you actually overcome its sense of smell, which presents its own problem) and, instead of removing one smell you're replacing it (or... just "putting a bolder smell in front of it") it with another. Many people like to fill their homes with a fragrance (wish they wouldn't, lol), so it's not a given that the house on the corner that is always exhausting the scent of drying laundry, urinal cakes, or some other well-known "Odor-Hiding Odor™" contains a cannabis garden.

But if LEO is already suspicious, that would add to their suspicion. Because it's not like it's just now occurring to people to cover up the scent of their plants. And if they aren't suspicious, but an officer happens to travel past your home on a regular basis, the always-on smell can make them so. Not just because of the possibility of a grow; they've been trained for years that incense/dryrer sheets/etc. are used to cover up the smell of smoking cannabis.

Although, granted, your neighbors are less likely to call LEO to complain about the Spring Mist (whatever) scent than they are about the scent of skunk, rotting meat, diesel fuel, fish & sausage (actually, think that one was some poorly-made hash oil, lol), et cetera that your plants might smell like. So in many ways, it's better than nothing. However, that "better" is lost when it generates a false sense of security.

The above is, of course, only "IMHO." YMMV, as they say.

My experience with growing weed of all the strains i grew with low oder and a fruity non pot smell is C-99. Easy to grow, 55-60 days flowering and it's done, med. yielder. And a clear up and motivational happy high. Really can't ask more from a strain. Use the sponsors here.

Good luck,
Flip

This is why I love the Intertubes.

Thank you TorturedSoul; you have convinced me that vannelle, QueenTokelove and HomeMedGrower were right about a Carbon Filter. Now a new project is in the works.

Hmmm... lets see... since this will be a small grow, in a small space, I am going to need to design a small filter. Maybe using PC fans and some aquarium carbon filter pads. Or maybe a 3+ foot piece of 4 inch PVC filled with carbon. Or some old vacuum cleaner hose. Hmmm, got the old brain cells working now. This should be fun.

I'll work on it and if it works ok, post it in the Do It Yourself forum.

Thank again guys. I still want to stay away from strong smelling skunk though. But this will be far better than the gel beads.

Flipper, I'll look into the C99. Thanks.

There are several threads about DiY carbon filters. Maybe reading them will save you some R&D work (or at least help with the idea phase).

Of course, there is always room for another "This is how I did it" thread in the DiY area. I love to see people coming up with original solutions or new twists on old ones. If you create something, please do post it. It is good when someone comes here to learn (and, of course, does) and ends up helping to teach others.

Do you have a bathroom fan? If you do, setup a little tent in your bathroom. Put a carbon filter in the tent, hook the exhaust up to the bathroom fan, put a ona gel canister in the duct leading to the bathroom vent. No smell in the apartment and only smell going outside is the ona gel. Use a ona gel canister or something similar that smells like your laundry, such as cotton.

This concept will work perfectly if bath vent dumps to the outside.

A company called Freshwave has odor gel and beads that are unscented. This might be just what I was looking for. Bed Bath and Beyond and a local Supermarket both sell it near me. Maybe add this to the exhaust fan tubing along with or instead of carbon. Maybe leave a little room at the outlet side to add the Freshwave packs as needed.

Thanks again TorturedSoul, I have read the forums pretty good and most I found were for bigger grows. Several small setups, like PC grows have what looks like an aquarium carbon filter pad taped over the exhaust outlet. That was my original plan. But if more is needed, I want to be ready.

Flipper, I cannot find the C99. Looks good though. I'll keep checking for restocks. Thanks

More will be needed then just a aquarium pad. Make your own filter, coffee can with the bottom cut out, fill a nylon stocking full of activated carbon, stuff it in the can. Make sure there isnt a way for the air to bypass around the carbon. It must go through the carbon, not over it or around it.

The odor gel things wont work good enough by themselves.

Trust me, these plants stink. In veg mode my plants stuck up the entire basement before I made adjustments to my filtration.

Back
Top Bottom