Need some help with gettin the seeds 2 sprout

DJScott543

I put 4 seeds in a little shot glass wiv a bit of water in the bottle then cotton wool which soaked up the water then put 4 seeds on the wet cotton wool then put another dry cotton wool over the top of the seeds, its been 48 hours now and i still havnt seen anything come from it its just the same as it looked when i bought them, any1 got any help on getting the seeds 2 sprout? a good simple way? thanks!

Take 4-6 paper towel sheets get them completely damp, but not sopping wet with lukewarm water. place the seeds on top, do the same thing with the 4-6 more paper towel sheets wet 'em and put them on top of the seeds. You can then place all of that in a movie case on a monitor or vcr, or anywhere warm and dark, where it can retain some moisture. A good grower here, [forget name], uses dvd cases.

I've done em the same way you did, in a glass of water, but using a bigger glass. And I was told to change the water out each day for ones that take longer than others.

And it seems like the cotton wool thing would work too. But I think you'd want both sides of the cotton wool to be moist. Kinda like giving a seed the snug moist feeling of fresh moist earth in its natural state.

thanks ill try the dvd case style, the 1 seed has cracked and set a little white root bout half a cm out but the rest aint even cracked reckon theyre dead?

yep it looks white 2 me the 1 got a bit of yellow 2 it like a discoloured white, why? i tryed the dvd case 3 of them r cracking open now and sprouting how long have the white root thing, i think its called a taproot? how long have that got to be before planting it? and someone also told me that when i plant it instead of putting the root facing the sun in the soil i got to put it facing the floor so then it grows its way up to the top of the soil? is this true?

Yeah Dank, I thought that was either you or CementHead, who did the dvd on monitor thing, but couldnt remember I've read so many journals!!:headbanger:

DJScott543,
You'll want to place the tap root down like your friend said. Some plant when the taproot appears, some wait longer, if yours are 1cm I'd plant em for sure. Are you putting these directly in soil or in rockwool or jiffy pots first? And what type of soil? Cause depending on your location, you probably wont wanna just take hard clayish backyard earth to cover those delicate seeds and taproots with.

Outside dirt is typically devoid of nutrients and vary's greatly in soil content. Also, it can contain bugs, other pests and their larva. I don't recommend using it. Buy some good organic soil and mix in your own stuff like I do or buy a good quality soil mix.

Also, the soil mixes that you can buy have already been pre-balanced for correct pH, another important factor.

well the only soil i could get my hands on around my area was either acid soil which will not be good for the plant i would of thought, miracle grow soil or sterilised soil, so i bought the sterilised soil thinking it would be less chance of mites, did i do right or should i of bought different soil?

anyway i think i should plant them now as i can see abit of root coming out about 1/2 cm, how often do i water this? jus wen the soil gets dry or different amount?i know the feeding dont start untill about 2-3 weeks but not sure on the first watering

Back
Top Bottom