Netpot bottoms and neoprene

Redoctober

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask if you think I should remove the bottoms of my netpots if I'm using neoprene pucks? I have a aero pipe pvc setup and I use 3.5" neoprene pucks to support the plants. I stick the neoprene in the top of the netpots because without them, they won't stay put in the pvc. I am wondering if the bottom of the netpot bottom is necessary to take part of the weight load off of the neoprene, or if the bottom gets in the way of the roots and will force them to bunch up. I wouldn't want to hinder the roots from making their way into the aero pipe...or will they simply grow right through the mesh bottom of the pot with no trouble?

This is my first time with this type of setup, and I've heard opinions both ways.

I know for a fact they'll grow right through the net pot but I'm not sure leaving the net pot in would allow as much water to hit the root area. The net pots are usually for DWC or the like (they can be used in aero as well I would assume). I built myself a cloner and I did cut the bottoms off of my 2" nets to let the water hit the cutting better. The only thing I would be concerned with is how big are you going to let the plant get? Are you growing monsters that are gonna pull the puck through the pot? I dont know if thats possible but I'm not an expert either. I'd say try a few of each and see which one you like though. However, I plan on either expanding my cloner or making another one and I will be cutting the pot bottoms off on which ever as well.

Red,
That is exactly how my grow is set up. Cloner pucks in 2in net pot with bottom cut off. It works fine and the plants will just muscle their way through the puck expanding the hole. Last grow I had stalks an inch thick with no problems. You can check my grow out in my sig line.

Best of luck.

Hello. I cut my bottoms off. You do have to be careful though, after about a foot of growth they will start to tip. If you are keeping them in your aero set up you can always fashion a Tepee out of a couple sticks or pens and what not. You can attach a round ring to the tepee so if your plant does try to fall through, that will catch it on the first branches. The ring does not touch any of the plant so it will not disturb growth. Just a handy fail safe.

Hello. I cut my bottoms off. You do have to be careful though, after about a foot of growth they will start to tip. If you are keeping them in your aero set up you can always fashion a Tepee out of a couple sticks or pens and what not. You can attach a round ring to the tepee so if your plant does try to fall through, that will catch it on the first branches. The ring does not touch any of the plant so it will not disturb growth. Just a handy fail safe.
I use bungee cords around the aero system to hold the net pots in place. They are rock-solid and have no chance of tipping. There are pics of it on my journal.

Back
Top Bottom