Networked PH / TDS / Temp monitor

I don't wanna connect it to a PC ..thats the issue. who in their right mind would put a laptop in a grow room 24/7. it would destroy the hard drive from the moisture/humidity alone.

as far as price ..i think a basic setup ..maybe temp monitor and water level monitor with a light timer should be less than 1500 dollars. I don't even care what it looks like as long as it works and i don't have to put a computer in a grow room...

not to mention .. a computer running 24/7 will add much heat as well.

Well a laptop running 24/7 will not generate that much heat believe me i work in a hospital and the PC's are on 24/7. As far as humidity I doubt that will have much of an effect on the laptop or whatever you would like to use. Moisture and condensation now your right about that and how it could effect a PC but then again there are laptops out there that can handle quite a bit of a beating. I dont see the hard drive being effected specifically the display in this setup is the most vulnerable because the parts are enclosed. Perhaps setting up a moisture proof box might resolve this? Just a thought Lol. USB is limited to about 20 feet, you could buy a Ultra slim PC mount it on the outside wall of the grow room with a monitor drill a hole for usb and bang. Better yet you could use firewire cable but them are expensive as well. Wirelessly I am not 100% sure how that would work for a security camera and the whole setup if that is even possible. USB 3.0 and Bluetooth 3.0 will become standard in the next two years hopefully so that may be possible. The 10/100/1000 Is the Ethernet speed for a wired connetion in MBPS (Mega bits per second) Wirelessly you cant get those speeds quite yet. 54MBPS and I believe Wireless N is the fastest Wifi out there. Bluetooth can achieve speeds faster but when remoting into your home network as long as you have a decent router convergence should not be an issue unless you have DSL or dial up which I doubt many have here. Honestly I prefer wired connections for a setup like this because too many things interfere with wireless such as microwaves etc.

USB is limited to 16 feet, 5 inches, or 9 feet 10 inches depending on which one it's using..

Mmm... Perhaps bluetooth? That's ~100 meters to 10 meters depending on the antenna class, but it's super picky and platform dependent.

Maybe I'll just build what I want. ;)

a wireless access point from best buy is 40 bucks ... a NIC adapter is less than 10 dollars ... integrate a nic adapter in your device and USB.

I think people are missing the point ... if you gotta have it plugged into a computer ..then you gotta buy a computer which will add at least 400 more dollars to the equation.

you plug this device in you are creating ... and in turn run a cat5e cable from it to a wireless access point from linksys or whatever brand you like ... it automatically finds your EXiSTING network ... log on with your laptop in your bedroom if you will ..or out in your yard ... done.

a laptop will raise a small grow room temp at least 2 degrees if its running 24/7.

besides ..isnt the idea to be able to walk away from the grow. if you still must enter the grow room to look at the computer.. what is the point?

a wireless access point from best buy is 40 bucks ... a NIC adapter is less than 10 dollars ... integrate a nic adapter in your device and USB.

I think people are missing the point ... if you gotta have it plugged into a computer ..then you gotta buy a computer which will add at least 400 more dollars to the equation.

you plug this device in you are creating ... and in turn run a cat5e cable from it to a wireless access point from linksys or whatever brand you like ... it automatically finds your EXiSTING network ... log on with your laptop in your bedroom if you will ..or out in your yard ... done.

a laptop will raise a small grow room temp at least 2 degrees if its running 24/7.

besides ..isnt the idea to be able to walk away from the grow. if you still must enter the grow room to look at the computer.. what is the point?

The point is to remote into your grow room PC to "check up" on it. Computers these days are cheap you can get a refurb one for 300 im sure. PLenty sites have cheap computers. So you set up a expensive digital monitoring system for your grow room, your at work and want to see how things are going to u launch log me in remote into your home network and see how things are going and if you have the right system make adjustments remotely. this is all a dream and i am sure with technology advancing it will make this reality. Depends how much time, money and effort one puts into it to make it a reality. Btw I hate linksys such an easy router to hack.

I was away for awhile and missed this thread entirely until now.
Thanks for the IM NUhNUgs. I looked up the threads you've started and found this.

I'm a web developer with 10 years working in a few different environments.
There is great discussion here.

SciFi, have you been looking into these controllers?

You do not have to have a computer in the grow room.
It can be done wirelessly, just like wireless baby video cameras, the wireless can be built into the controller/meter. The controler would have it's own IP address and password protection that can be accessed from the internet.
Since everything goes thru the wireless router, your security and access will be taken care of there.

Let's discuss.

yeah ..im still into this for sure. I took a hiatus after a brief scare lol. I guess the biggest thing is being able to automate and/or monitor your grow.

There is some stuff available now, but after looking at it... whomever created it ..did so with the notion that everyone can write code and go through very complex setups.

I like easy and bulletproof. If someone does have the ability to make something like this... it should be plug n play with minimal setup input. In other words ... even the most anti-tech person could use it.

Simple and easy so anyone can do it......
Sure, no problem.... but making it inexpensive for the masses is the hard part.

To get a system where almost anyone can get it setup and running, takes a lot of time and resources.

I read this posting when it was started, and I think there was another one around the same time. I've also had thoughts of building a digital monitoring and control system. Lost it amongst the flow of information here.

Something could be created that makes it easy to setup and use, yet is fairly in-expensive. Using open source hardware and software combination, it could be done. Looking at what is out on the market now, it isn't that complicated to re-create. A simple arduino board with some simple sensors can get most of what we would need.

Though there are some things that aren't cheap no matter what. Like getting decent probes. The cheapest I've seen have been around $35 to $50.

For testing pH, PPM, EC, temp, humidity, and air flow can be done on an arduino. Wireless communications can be added (several choices but I'd go with WiFi if it can be encrypted), and simple web interfaces can added.

That would handle it for monitoring. Using wireless and setting the device up as a SNMP device would allow it to be connected to many network monitoring systems, many open source and free (though most likely beyond most forum users ability). It would also make it easy to develop a simple interface that could run on any system and be easy to install and run.

Or at least that has been where I've been thinking. My background is in IT. I do some coding and system design. For hobby time, I play with robotics ( I have a hacked Robo Sapiens V2).

I enjoy talking about this, and I would be willing to work with anyone on building a system.

Prairie

Everyone please chime in..

What features would you most like to see on a environment controller?

Fan/Temperature Control
Yes
CO2 Relay/CO2 PPM Control
hmmm not at first
PH dispenser/PH probe Control
read yes, control not at first
Cyclic Timers
yes at any timing I want
yes
N/P/K PPM
yes
TimeLapse Video
no
Security Video
no
AC current detection
hmmmm
Leaf surface area calculation
no
Flying Insect detection
<s> and laser beam killing machine?
Nitrate PPMs
No

Connectivity:
Bluetooth
No
Yes
Yes
No
No
Isn't RS-232 a serial port?

Prairie

I think wireless is iffy. I can drive down the street and pick up hundreds of wireless networks. I'm no hacker, but someone with the knowledge and persistence can break almost all publicly available encryption methods.

If someone goes through the trouble of building a room and put all this monitoring/automation equipment in ... I don't think running one cat5 cable in the room is a big deal either.

I think building wireless into each item would add an unnecessary expense. Each item would need a 10/100/1000 port and its own mac/IP addy. If someone wanted to add wireless they could simply go purchase a wireless access point and daisy chain everything together.

The system should measure PPM, Room Temp, res temp, light time, feeding time (if youre a dripper or ebb/flow guy), PH (both res PH and runoff PH), co2 (add on) and possibly time elapsed photos or video.

This should also work on some shitty netbook with a cool icon to click and start. User interface should be as simple as entering your shipping address on some major online retailer. Also, maybe the ability to upload you settings to some master server somewhere that tallies strains and what others are also using.

In other words .. a constantly updating FAQ where if something in your setup is not like others growing in the same way ... some popup information comes up and says ...92% of the people growing this strain have this level ..and are using this this and this sort of thing.

Hi NuhNugz,

You have several options, the most expensive coming from the custom all in 1 automated system sold for large operations or the more DIY route. My guess, just cant ask for a five grand auto system for x-mass this year.

For DIY the PC Automation and Robotics for the Hobbyist has a few products that look to be up your alley and with some minor programming could send the info to a computer which in turn with a you would set up a VPN tunnel. With a set up like this you could see the display on any computer or smart phone. The Arduino board is used for many projects and has the ability to twitter......I would think with proper tweaking you could set up a secure information point to log in and check.

Just a touch on wireless security. WPA2 with AES encryption will provide more then enough security for most applications and this case would not be outside of that. If you are just sending a series of numbers to be viewed in sequence i.e. 78..5.9..680 (temp,PH,EC) you will know what these are for however to an outsider or Leo this will mean nothing.

If you want more on IT techy stuff let me know its a habit of mine.
:goodluck:

I think wireless is iffy. I can drive down the street and pick up hundreds of wireless networks. I'm no hacker, but someone with the knowledge and persistence can break almost all publicly available encryption methods.

Sorry, that isn't true. They will also need massive computational power.

If the control unit responds on the wireless as a SNMP device, all it is giving is raw numbers. As Anonymous 669 said, anyone that could hack into Wifi security (which is possible) all they see is a by bunch of numbers. Another side is these units do not have very powerful Wifi radio's. They are not going to work very far away, much less than a laptop.

Prairie

Sorry, that isn't true. They will also need massive computational power.

If the control unit responds on the wireless as a SNMP device, all it is giving is raw numbers. As Anonymous 669 said, anyone that could hack into Wifi security (which is possible) all they see is a by bunch of numbers. Another side is these units do not have very powerful Wifi radio's. They are not going to work very far away, much less than a laptop.

Prairie

I understand your point. I guess Id rather have it hardwired / daisychained together (some lights .especially t5 types) can and will interfere with wireless a/b and sometimes n networks.

I could plug the wire into a cheap netbook when I am away and use whatever program/utility like remote desktop or something like that.

I dunno ..im not a computer guru by any means ..so i have to take you computer guys word for it. I'm just stating questions I have as all and I'm glad there are some folks here that can clarify my concerns.

I think this really has the opportunity to work and look forward to seeing something in action in the near future.

There are a number of Automation and networked wireless products. I was at the Max Yield show last July and I saw Link 4 but it's a pretty intimidating looking piece of equipment, some Chinese company called AEssense that makes you use their rack and set-up, and SmartBee Controllers who looks relatively new to the market but despite being unproven seems pretty user-friendly since you operate everything from an iPad. The sticker price is insane across all three, but if you think of it as an investment, the profit off-set from the bigger yield will over time make any of them worth it.

Back
Top Bottom