Nevada Marijuana Measure Backers Lose Bid to Gag Officials

Wilbur

A Nevada judge has refused to ban elected officials and a police lieutenant from speaking against a ballot initiative to decriminalize marijuana.
Clark County District Court Judge David Wall says the Clark County Commission, Nevada Board of Regents and government officials have a right and a duty to publicly discuss political matters like Question Seven.

That's the measure on Tuesday's ballot that would make Nevada the first state to tax and regulate the legal sale of up to an ounce of marijuana to those 21 and older.

The head of the Committee to Regulate and Control Marijuana calls it "highly likely" proponents of the measure will appeal.

He says saying that public officials have a First Amendment right to political speech ignores a state law prohibiting campaigning on public time and the taxpayer dime.

But he also acknowledges that an appeal won't be heard until after the election.

Newshawk: user - <A HREF="420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking">420 Magazine</A>
Source: Las Vegas Sun
Pubdate: 3 November 2006
Copyright: 2006 Associated Press

Nevada has the insight to what is to become in every state. Taxed Marijuana Sales. This is one of the first and boldest moves to Control, Regulate & Tax Marijuana. Why spend money, when one can make money? Nevada is quite correct in their approach to Legalizing Marijuana and making MONEY from it. If one were to bet, I would bet on that the HOUSE always wins. Right on Nevada.

""A Nevada judge has refused to ban elected officials and a police lieutenant from speaking against a ballot initiative to decriminalize marijuana.""

I can't believe the nerve on display here. It's an obvious conflict of interest in my opinion. The people emplowered to enforce the laws shouldn't have a say in what the laws are - how are they to remain objective. In my opinion generally there seems to be little objectivity anyway, but it's just so blatant.

The fact that taxpayer's dollars are funding this, makes it all that much worse.

I'm pulling for ya Nevada, make it happen at the ballot box.

Back
Top Bottom