New grower, huge plants, now what

oldpuffer

:smokin: Yes I'm new....hello fellow puffers....when to harvest?? Plants are covered in red hairs, some with white....don't ya let the plants go til the end of September? I think I've got some good stuff but a first time grower.

lol b420 I wrote another grow manual for another new user. This time for harvesting and drying lol.

I also PMed this to you oldpuffer.

1: When to harvest:
Easiest way to tell when it's time to harvest is when more than half of the calyxes(the white hairs) have turned red or brown. If you have a magnifying glass you can look at the trichromes, they are on the buds and look like little crystal mushrooms. When 50%-75% of the trichromes have turned an amber color it's time to harvest.

2: Trimming your bud at Harvest time:
Trimming you bud before drying it is the easiest way. How much you trim is up to you. The more leaf matter that you remove the smoother the smoke will be. Alot of the time people just trim off the big fan leaves and leave the smaller leaves protruding from the bud, which you can do because those leaves are coated in trichromes containing THC. Whatever you do do not simply dispose of your trimmmings. They are great for making either hash, cannabutter and canna-oil.

P.S.
Welcome to the site and congrats on the plants. :biggrin:

3: Drying and curing your harvest:
I know you didn't ask about this but being a first time grower you might not know about it so I'll throw it in.

There are many ways to cure bud, but the technique preferred by connoisseurs is the slow-cure method. The plants should be cut up so that individual stems can be hung on string or placed on open grill trays. The plants are placed in a cool, dark room, kept at 55-65°F (13-18°C) with a steady draft. The buds will slowly start to dry. At the same time, the cells that are still alive will change some of the starches to sugars, resulting in a smoother smoke.

After about five days you can raise the temperature in the room to about 80°F (27°C) in order to shorten drying time. Depending on the humidity, the buds will require one to three days to dry. There should still be a small amount of moisture in the buds when the drying process is over. The bud should bend a little before the piece breaks away.

Once the buds are dried they should be placed in tightly sealed glass jars or metal containers, and stored in the freezer. The buds can be kept in the freezer indefinitely with no loss of odor or potency.

Drying bud converts crude acidic THC from its nonactive form into a neutral pH psychoactive substance. Each THC molecule has to lose it's moisture content in order to become fully psychoactive. When the water exits the bud, the THC becomes slightly different in molecular structure.

Heating can make THC readily active by immedietly vaporizing the bud's moisture content away. However, aging is important too. First the bud is "dried", but can still contain some moisture within. By using the "cure", the THC slowly becomes psychoactive.

Curing builds a more uniformily dried bud with a better burn and taste. Almost all the THC converts to the usable psychoactive cannabaloid over the alotted time without the degradation gotten from heat drying the bud quickly. The bud that has equalized "cured" moisture content through out will give the bud a nice firey glow when burned.

Cured buds pack in bowls easier and break down into blunts and joints without difficulty. Hash that has been cured forms a beautiful rhine around the outside with a rich creamy inside. Cured bud and hash is great and worth the trouble. The taste is awesome as all the excess chlorophyll has been broken down. A smoother smoke is created.

Right were to begin....

The calyx is the pod looking structure were the stigma( the white hairs) protrude from.The calyxs are covered in resin exuding glandular trichomes,these are the stalk like structures with mushroom like heads.

When to harvest you ask ?
Now the time to harvest depends basicly on personal preference. Some like to harvest when the trichomes are still clear, this apparently produces are more cebrebral high. Some like to harvest when the trichomes are turning cloudy and or amber this is at the point were there are high amounts of CBC, CB, THC, CBN and this produces a more narcotic effect and a more resinous looking flower.

B

Brushtail said:
Right were to begin....

The calyx is the pod looking structure were the stigma( the white hairs) protrude from.The calyxs are covered in resin exuding glandular trichomes,these are the stalk like structures with mushroom like heads.

When to harvest you ask ?
Now the time to harvest depends basicly on personal preference. Some like to harvest when the trichomes are still clear, this apparently produces are more cebrebral high. Some like to harvest when the trichomes are turning cloudy and or amber this is at the point were there are high amounts of CBC, CB, THC, CBN and this produces a more narcotic effect and a more resinous looking flower.

B

hmmm... can't post a pic but is it possible that a young female to have 4 balls(they look like tiny seeds after all) at each side of the stalk?

Nikx said:
hmmm... can't post a pic but is it possible that a young female to have 4 balls(they look like tiny seeds after all) at each side of the stalk?

that sounds like possible pollen sacs,,,meanin male

Ndw4m is it abnormal for a plant at its 4th node not having a full leaf, like 7 blades?

For it to get all the way to the forth node and still have only the 3 bladed leaf is odd but not exactly rare. I've had plants like that on a couple occasions that never had any "full" leaves. It's even more common on reveg plants. As long as the plant looks healthy and perky, then it's being a little odd is nothing to worry about. Keep your eye out for possible causes of stress though. Any stress on the plant can cause these types of abnormalities, so if your lighting schedual, ph, or nutes are out of wack it can show itself in this way. As I said it's not necessarily a problem but it can possibly be a sign of problems in the making.

thanks much ill keep an eye on it... i think these next two will fan out more....

highlifeisdalif said:
Ndw4m is it abnormal for a plant at its 4th node not having a full leaf, like 7 blades?
actually some heavy indica strains don't start giving 7-pronged leaves till way late... i had one indica male that had one prong for the first 3 nodes... then 2 nodes of 3... so i don't think it's a major issue... just keep your eye on it

Back
Top Bottom