New grower, lighting questions

mamak420

so instead of buying a light (for now), a friend gave me a grow light, its an led sl-5 120v 30w 5000k. is this ok for growing (autos only for now)? i cant afford a light right now, and i know that the better light i have, the better plant i get, but this is the light i have for now, atleast for my first 2 grows anyway. i just want to make sure its good for seed to harvest. i havent taken any photos of it, but its a long white one with 2 led strips in it.

my second choice is to put the plants outside during the day, and bring them in at night. im afraid i will get tall lanky seedlings if i do that.

what are your guys thoughts?

If those lights are all you can afford for now. Use them to start your seedlings off.

30w is enough for seedlings.

I am using a single 24w T5H0 grow light and I'm 2 weeks into my seedlings.

The responses I received before was usually around 30w per square feet for indoor grows as a minimum.

How many seedlings are you planning on starting? And is there a grow tent?

im going to do just one for now. but i wanted to start one every 2 weeks so i would be harvesting every two weeks.(generally anyway) i just want to make sure its good for veg and flower as well, i dont want to start seedlings with this light and realize i need a better light as it gets bigger. im only doing autos for now, so i dont know if that makes a difference.

no tent for now. im using my closet.

If you can provide more details on how you will set up your grow area in your closet.

The size of closet.

The distance you will hang your lights from your plants.

**should also look into ventalation

My belief is the 30w LED would probably be enough for 1 small plant.

i can measure the closet tonight as far as length and width go, but as far as distance from plant, just as far as i need to. i have an air purifier and a humidifier, still need to get fans and dehumidifier. im not going to be able to afford a carbon filter anytime soon though.

if i were to purchase a light to keep 2 small autos going in rotation which light should i get, or what should i be looking for. very tight budget for now

For lights you should always get the best that you can afford.

There is no real rules to buying lights. If you can afford better lights you get them. If you cannot you work with what you can.

In your case if you can afford another 30w those two should be enough to grow auto seedlings veg and flower. But you will have to constantly adjust the height of the lights.

To avoid seedlings stretching if you have temperature surface reader gun it will be easier to judge how close you can have your lights. Too far and you will get stretching out. Too close and you will possibly cause heat damage to the leaves.

30w won't have the same penetration power of a stronger light.

But if that's all you can afford for now,try to get some reflective material to put on the closet walls to help a little.

But for sure you will need at least 2 30w lights for 2 autos

1 30w will be enough for 2 seedlings. And maybe you can push it with veg but maybe won't be enough for good growth.

So if anything set it up for now and get your autos going. And add another 30w light in 2weeks or so

i wont be able to afford a proper light for a few months, thatswhy i was asking if it was good enough all the way through.

what about putting it outside during the day? growing in coco...

*if you cannot afford a other light

*use what you have for now

*most people say around 30w per square foot.

*so if you cannot afford another light. Maybe try growing one instead of two? If you are strictly growing indoors.

By the sound of what you are saying is you are trying to squeeze as much out of the one 30w as you can while using outdoor light.

Depends on where you live. Outdoors you will have to consider temperature that you cannot control. How much day light you will be getting.

Best advice is just give it a shot and note down the results.

Worst thing is it doesn't turn out. Then at least you know .

Start a new thread asking about growing outdoors.

Back
Top Bottom