New Push for Medical Marijuana Legalization

Backers of medical marijuana want the face of Stephanie Whiting-Shadinger to be one of those Minnesota lawmakers remember as debate resumes at the State Capitol on allowing some patients to use the now-illegal drug.

Whiting-Shadinger died in 2003 at age 26, suffering from malignant melanoma that required experimental treatments, chemotherapy and 10 surgeries. Daily doses of pain killers failed to relieve her misery.

Joni Whiting, a suburban grandma from Jordan, will be testifying today in a Senate committee that she reluctantly abandoned her anti-drug sentiments and went along with her daughter smoking marijuana in her final days. And she's glad she did.

Opposition to legalizing medicinal marijuana remains strong among those concerned about its effects on drug abuse. But supporters hope new strategies can build support for their cause.

Like nothing else, Joni Whiting said, marijuana eased some of her daughter's pain and restored some of her appetite. She lived three months longer than doctors predicted, smiled for the first time in months and was able to eat a mushroom and cheese omelette the day before she died.

Before her daughter's illness, Whiting said, "I looked at people talking about medical marijuana as the potheads, lazy people wanting to smoke pot and sit on the couch all day. My daughter was living proof that this plant is a miracle plant and it worked.

"She smiled again and she played with her children. It was a miracle what happened to my daughter from the moment she smoked that pot."

It's stories like those -- from people no one would expect to sing marijuana's praises -- that supporters hope will persuade legislators to add Minnesota to the list of 13 states that permit some form of medicinal use of marijuana. The proposal, debated repeatedly in recent years, has gained support among legislators but has been blocked by Gov. Tim Pawlenty.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Star Tribune
Author: MARK BRUNSWICK and BOB von STERNBERG
Copyright: 2009 Star Tribune

Back
Top Bottom