New Supporters Join Fight To Expand Medical Marijuana In Iowa

Robert Celt

A news conference was held Tuesday to discuss a new bill in the Iowa Legislature to expand the use of medical marijuana in Iowa.

Iowans 4 Medical Cannabis discussed the bill and support it already has gained from some House Republicans.

Some Republican House lawmakers are supporting legislation that would create a system for manufacturing, distributing and possessing some forms of medical marijuana in Iowa, though it's unclear what type of support the bill will get from party leaders.

The bill would expand the state's current law on medical marijuana, which allows some epilepsy patients to use cannabis oil.

The new legislation would expand it to include more products and patients though it would prohibit the smoking of medical marijuana.

Rep. Peter Cownie, chairman of the House Commerce Committee, discussed the bill during a press conference Tuesday while surrounded by a handful of Republican lawmakers. The West Des Moines Republican was vague when asked about the bill's support within his caucus. He asked lawmakers to keep an open mind.

A bill will be introduced Wednesday that aims to radically change the medical cannabis laws in the state.

Sally Gaer is one of the Iowans directly affected by the current law and any coming changes. She started her day with a trip to the DOT to renew her state CBD card that permits her to possess the hemp oil for her daughter Margaret to help control her seizures.

"We're renewed for another year," said Gaer who said the card gives her family peace of mind.

"It's fine I never had to use it. I never got pulled over," said Gaer.

From there Gaer went to the Capitol where she spoke for the group Iowans 4 Medical Cannabis.

"I'm overjoyed today with the support of new faces, and legislators," she told the packed room.

Gaer and others are supporting the new medical cannabis bill that would make it legal to grow and distribute medical cannabis in Iowa.

Family Leader CEO Bob Vander Plaats was one of the new faces in the crowd on Tuesday.

"If there's something that would benefit these children from going thru seizures, we want to do everything we can," he said.

The bill was introduced by another new face to the families' fight, Rep. Peter Cownie, a Republican from West Des Moines.

"I believe we were all elected to help Iowans, and I believe the bill in front of us for cannabidiol does just that," said Cownie.

Last year, the attempt at this type of change to the existing medical cannabis laws met strong resistance from Gov. Terry Branstad to the house speaker, to Rep. Clel Baudler.

Look for updates on the bill's consideration by the legislature on KCCI-TV and on our mobile website and apps.

MEDICAL-CANNABIS-PHARMACIST.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: New Supporters Join Fight To Expand Medical Marijuana In Iowa
Author: Mark Tauscheck
Photo Credit: Getty Images

Back
Top Bottom