new to Deep Water Culture need advice

crbanshee

I am getting ready to start my first grow using Deep Water Culture, and have been doing a ton of research on the systems, lighting and set up. The problem I face is in the location of my grow area. I will be growing in a basement room of a very old house, the basement floor is dirt and collects alot of moisture. I am going to be digging out and pouring a concrete slab in my grow area but, there will still be a section of the room that is a dirt floor. I have read many many posts saying the grow area must be clean. I am planning on building a closet like box on top of the new concrete slab im pouring, but I need to know if there are any other precautions I need to take because of the damp dirty area around my grow room.

For one I would get a dehumidifier for the grow room, I would spray the dirt with home defense bug spray, then I would buy playground sand at homedepot and spread a layer of it on the floor. Then find some pallets to throw down on that for sort of a floor around the grow room. Throw some cheap wood covering over the pallets so you wont bust your ass tripping in the slots... :smokin: Then at least you wont be tracking crappy dirt close to the room... :peacetwo:

I am getting ready to start my first grow using Deep Water Culture, and have been doing a ton of research on the systems, lighting and set up. The problem I face is in the location of my grow area. I will be growing in a basement room of a very old house, the basement floor is dirt and collects a lot of moisture. I am going to be digging out and pouring a concrete slab in my grow area but, there will still be a section of the room that is a dirt floor. I have read many many posts saying the grow area must be clean. I am planning on building a closet like box on top of the new concrete slab im pouring, but I need to know if there are any other precautions I need to take because of the damp dirty area around my grow room.

Always take preventative action spraying all the area with something like home defence, fill the hole use plastic then gravel on the dirt spray that, but use all the prevention action needed first before you setup, you can also enclose the whole area with plastic sheets. sides, top, floor, they have zippers that can bond to plastic making a sealed room! that alone won't cost a bunch, you can get the rolls of thick plastic sheeting at home depot, once that's setup spray again, somewhere on the site here is a thread about prevention also go to this thread Deep Water Culture Tutorial, SH Kit & DIY

Good luck Bro! the Deep Water Culture are here to help you whenever you need it.

I have read both the Deep Water Culture and lighting tutorial's by Roseman and i must say that 95% of the reason im doing a Deep Water Culture system is because of his info. the other 5% is because not one single grower or hydro shop in my area has heard of Deep Water Culture.

my next question is how important is the hight of the area.. i only have about 6ft to the celing in this room..being that it is a dirt floor I can dig down a bit, but is that going to help me or just be a waste of my time and effort? and does the fact that that area stay an average of 15 to 20 digrees cooler than the out door temp need to be addressed or am i good to go with a nice cool area?

Welcome to 420 and the Deep Water Culture Gang, friend. We're all very glad you are here.

The Deep Water Culture above gave you great advice.

Your tallest plants will be 55 inches tall at the very MAX, growing Indica strains , and 18 inches above that is bare minimum enough for the lights. If you could add 12 inches more height space, it'd be great.

Other Deep Water Culture here will soon find you and assist you too as well as others in the 420 family.

A little extra height is always nice but not necessary...You can learn canopy management techniques to keep the hight down...all depends on how hard it is to dig up this dirt!! lol

The cooler temp will be GREAT...with the lights creating heat..low temps are not often an issue but high temps very well can be...will make cooling MUCH easier for you.

Goodluck with your grow bro...Ill try and find it

Can someone please clear up the lighting cycle for me. my grow area is 10 sqft..(floor space) I have 3 bubbleponioc set ups, (18 babies) im using a 1000w mh for veg and 1000w hps for flower..I have been told to veg at everythng from 16 to 24 hr light for veg with the 1000w mh. then after 2 weeks go 12/12 with the 1000w hps.. can anyone please clear this up for me.. what is the correct light time for the veg with the mh?

When in veg I do a 16 hour lights on, 6 off, with a 400watt MH... When I switch to flower I use a 400watt HPS and do 12 on, 12 off with the light... There is no "set" time on how long you veg for...

How I figured it was to measure the ceiling height in my flower room. Then I let them grow to half that height then I put them into flower... They will more then double in size in flower...

IMO people put them into flower way to soon... Most do it for space (lack of it) or to shorten the cycle so they can harvest faster... Some go from seeding to 12-12 straight away...

I went about 6 or 7 weeks on my current grow before I went into flower... If you have a really bushy plant, and veg for to long the lights wont be able to penetrate the lower parts of the plants and you get "air buds" So both ways do have good and bad points as with everything... Hope that helped :goodluck:

HAHAHAHA!!! WOW!! the Deep Water Culture got to you like a bad mite infestation huh? you will be, no doubt, be given top notch advice......

to answer your question though, if you are planning to grow in a cab, correctly sealed, sitting on a concrete slab, with proper ventilation in the cab..... i see no reason for worry on the surrounding conditions. as was said.... the concrete may be going a little far (unless there is some major deal you haven't mentioned).... but without pics i think you are gonna be just groovy.

SUBSCRIBED!! here to help in any way!!

Back
Top Bottom