New to the fellowship of closet growers...

Hope all is well for everyone. New here and to indoor horticulture.

Here is my plan and a lot of questions, tell me what you all think...

I am planning to build a closet/cabinet style grow room in the guest bedroom of my apt. I've contemplated using a pre fab dark room / grow room but feel that it just stands out as weird if a maintenance guy or any non-bud sympathizers were to happen upon it.

So I think I am going to go with building a large cabinet about 4' x 3' and 8' tall out of that mdf that is laminated in white vinyl. What you would see a pantry or wardrobe cabinet made out of. Woukld this white surface be sufficient for light reflection or should I still go with mylar or paint?

I'd like to have 2 sections top and bottom. One for veg one for flower.

If I split it in half I would have roughly 2 x 4' tall rooms. But given the dimensional difference between the sunleaves nova floro light I have for vegging (4" thick ) and what a HPS light with reflector etc would be (10"-12"?) I'm thinking I should split the rooms say 3' bottom for veg and 5' top for flowering. What do you think or what can you tell me from your experiences. The plants still grow in height during flowering right? Also dont want the plants getting too close to the hot light.

If I do the 5 , 3 split then I'm giving the veg plants about 2.5 feet to grow still leaving it about 2 inches from the floro light.

How much more taller do plants usually grow during flowering?

What light/ reflector should I be looking at for my flower chamber? I know HPS is best for this due to red/orange spectrum. My NOVA floro has the blues (6500K i think at 150W) to help keep the plants from getting lanky.

Do you think this light is sufficient for veg in a 4w x 3d x3h space? should I get another and run them next to each other so they are about 4 feet across.

My first grow is just bag seed from ok bud. I'm not going to cry too much if I make mistakes with this. I do have some packages of the fine gourmet stuff on the way though. (maui waui, hindu kush, northern lights, and white widow)

Some more general questions...

What sized pot should the plants ultimately be in? Would a 12" dia round or square pot be ok? too big? too small?

Is square or round better? I would think square is better since there is more volume for the roots to flourish.

How many plants should I be able to fit into 12 sq ft? I was thinking 12 (1 per sq foot) or will they crowd each other when they start to bush out?

What do you recommend for particular nutrients and during what stage? What are the best online places for this stuff (if you can post links)

What kind of yield should I expect, hopefully a 12-16 oz if I can do 10-12 plants in the top chamber?

I am still looking into cooling. If its in the cabinet then i should get a reflector that has the hookup for ducting right? How powerful a fan should I need?

I have 21 seedlings sprouting right now outside of the cabinet while I get it together. Hoping they are a good 50/50 male female split.

I have not got the supplies for the cabinet yet so if you have any better ideas for a stealth cabinet I'm very open to suggestions. Trying to keep it as cost effective as possible. Its all for my head, no cash crops here.

Thanks in advance - McB

Back
Top Bottom