Newbie question about butter

birdy

So, we are new to making cannabis butter and I've done some research online and I see that most everywhere, people use cheesecloth to strain... This sounds very painful when a person has bad arthritis in their hands.

I have a recipe that I got from a friend that is quite different, but sounds much easier, so I thought I would ask you experts here your opinion on this, because I can't find anyone else talking about it..

Use a crock pot and put about 18 sticks of butter (obviously adjust depending on how much you want to make) and then buy a small "mesh bag" (which I cannot find anywhere). He told us it's something that could be found in a standard store laundry dept., that women use them to wash dedicates in.
Then, put the trimmings in the mesh bag and put it in with the butter in the crock pot and cook on low for about 18-24 hours.
When done, take bag out, throw out trimmings, wash the bag and it can be used again.

So, has anyone done this? And if so, where would I find this bag?

It seemed like a really easy way to make butter, but I would value your feedback on this.

Also, I have read that the butter can then be frozen? I wanted to confirm this with you also..

thanks in advance,
Birdy

I use my wifes wire mesh strainer she uses for noodles. It's got a really fine screen. I let it sit over the bowl and all the butter drains through into the bowl. I only use a standard weed grinder to grind up the weed, so it's not really fine. I find that using a coffee grinder makes it too fine and powdery and you end up with way more plant material than you'd like. Anyway, no need to work it with your hands. You'll loose a little butter that way. But not enough to get worked up over. The mesh bag you describe would work well. But, once again, it would soak up some of the butter and you'd loose some. But, not enough to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom