NJ: Gov. Christie Talks Medical Marijuana On Twitter

MedicalNeed

During a busy Thanksgiving weekend Governor Chris Christie began to Tweet about the Garden State's still non-existent medical marijuana program. It was a direct response to persistent pressure from some New Jersey residents with medical conditions that will qualify.

Potential patients in the medical cannabis program have loudly criticized overly strict draft regulations from the Christie Administration. The state Assembly passed a resolution calling for a re-write and the Senate may follow suit soon.

Charles "Chuck" Kwiatkowski of Hazlet, NJ lives with Multiple Sclerosis. Chuck testified for the law last year and now he's fighting for a realistic program. He has been one of the most outspoken patient-advocates in the state and is particularly upset about the new "10% or less" THC limits that are being proposed. Kwiatkowski is bringing his activism directly to the Governor, first at campaign rallies in the fall and now though social media.

Suddenly the Governor has offered a reply. Here's some of the conversation Chuck has been having with Gov. Christie on Twitter.

Nov 26- mmjblog Charles Kwiatkowski: @GovChristie Show compassion for patients in NJ and reverse the unworkable medical marijuana regulations proposed by the DHSS.

Nov 26 GovChristie Governor Christie : @mmjblog NJ will not be allowed to become California or Colorado on my watch. Our regs will permit the truly sick to obtain pain relief.

The Governor also replied on 11/27.

Nov 27 GovChristie Governor Christie: @mmjblog If the politics stops, NJ's program will be a model for a truly medicinal program, not a program that slips into a recreational one

Nov 27 mmjblog Charles Kwiatkowski@GovChristie I understand your position on CA and CO's MMJ programs, but what about other states like ME, RI and NM that have MMJ programs?

The GovChristie kept the topic active. While sharing some holiday and sports related posts he was keeping up his familiar stance on the medicinal cannabis law.

Nov 28 GovChristie Governor Christie : @mmjblog Pls remember that this is a medicinal, not recreational program. Our regs reflect that reality and the rhetoric of Sen Scutari.

Nov 28 GovChristie Governor Christie: @mmjblog I do understand. But my responsibility is to all 8.4 million New Jerseyans. I will not permit a CA/CO style legalization plan in NJ

Chuck then pressed Christie in a familiar realm — law enforcement practice. This seemed to be the only (perhaps) un-scripted and rather interesting response:

Nov 28 mmjblog Charles Kwiatkowski: @GovChristie Please answer my question, if a qualifying patient is arrested before the program is in place, will you pardon them?

Nov 28 @GovChristie Governor Christie : @mmjblog Each case will be decided on it's individual merits.

Christie wasn't letting the issue go either.

Jennifer Lande lives with a variety of debilitating medical conditions and is seeking to be a registered patient. Living in the Medford, NJ area Lande has seen her life change dramatically from a wasting condition. She had joined with Chuck Kwiatkowski to put the online pressure directly on the governor.

It seems Christie noticed because on Nov 28th he posted:

@GovChristie Governor Christie: @jennifer_lande Sen Scutari wanted a medically based program 2 ease suffering-that is what the regs allow for in NJ. What is your objection?

jennifer_lande jennifer lande: @GovChristie Dear Gov'r, I'm truly sick-no relief yet. PS-you guys cut out pain after the law passed for most patients, remember? I sure do.

GovChristie Governor Christie: @jennifer_lande No excuses. NJ wants a safe program 4 pts, not de facto legalization as in CA/CO. I will deliver a safe program w/these regs

jennifer_lande jennifer lande: @GovChristie Ask Sen. Scutari if he concurs that the regs reflect his rhetoric. The law is not4 recreational users, we know. We are patients
Christie was back at the medical marijuana topic late last night after Chuck posted a reply.

mmjblog Charles Kwiatkowski : @govchristie How will 4 distribution centers for medical marijuana instead of 6 makes us anything less like CA?

GovChristie Governor Christie: @mmjblog Four centers with an option for four satellite distribution centers=eight centers vs. six centers under bill

As of 4PM today that was the last post of any kind by GovChristie on Twitter.

Medical marijuana patients and advocates have not been able to secure a meeting with Governor Christie since he took office. Earlier this month Diane Raportella was turned away when she showed up at his office after testifying at a Senate committee hearing. Raportella has Lou Gerhigs Disease, a rapidly deteriorating terminal condition.

Chuck Kwiatkowski answered some questions from the Philadelphia NORML Examiner today about his Twitter interactions.

"I have brought my situation to the Gov. himself in public four times and still have had no opportunity for actual discussion of a state law for which I am qualified. Each time was limited to less than 25 seconds," Kwiatkowski said today referring to fall campaign appearances.

But the interactions on Twitter were bittersweet. Christie did little more than copy/paste lines from his 9-month-old press release and showed no compromise on the strict draft regulations.

Chuck lamented, "Jen and I received more Tweets back from the Gov. than my four chances in person."

Patients and advocates say they remain willing to employ a more traditional networking method with Christie to find a way forward for the medical marijuana program: An in-person meeting.

The Senate is expected to vote on SCR 130 on December 13, 2010. If the resolution passes the legislature will agree that the draft regulations are outside of the compassionate use law's intent.

For now Governor Christie, Jennifer Lande and Chuck Kwiatkowski will continue an active debate on Twitter showcasing an interesting shift in the mechanics of American politics.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: examiner.com
Author: Chris Goldstein
Copyright:Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a Examiner.com
Website:NJ: Gov. Christie talks medical marijuana on Twitter - Philadelphia norml | Examiner.com

Back
Top Bottom