NJ: State Senate Candidates Discuss Marijuana Legalization

Ron Strider

Candidates running for state Senate will answer a weekly question posed by The New Jersey Herald on Mondays between now and the June 6 primary election. The same question will be posed to Assembly candidates on Tuesdays. Republican and Democratic candidates are in the order they will appear on the ballot.

In the 24th Legislative District, two Republican candidates, incumbent Steven Oroho and William Hayden, are seeking their party's nomination to one, four-year term in the state Senate. Democrat Jennifer Hamilton is running unopposed in the primary for nomination by her party.

Question for state Senate candidates – Topic: Marijuana legalization

Legalization of recreational marijuana in New Jersey is an issue the incoming governor and state Legislature will be considering. What is your position on legalized recreational marijuana and what effects do you believe it could have on the district?

Steven Oroho (i), R

The state shouldn't relax prohibitions against illegal drugs of any kind. Drug abuse is an epidemic that sets off a downward spiral of life that far too often ends with damaged families, a crime-ridden life or, most tragically, premature death.

I don't separate the use of marijuana from other dangerous controlled substances – they are all drugs. Marijuana is commonly referred to as a gateway drug in that when one starts experimenting with marijuana, the user will often escalate to much more perilous addictions.

As a legislator who has been involved with non-profits whose mission is to educate the public on drug prevention measures, I understand the pressures of drug experimentation, especially on our youth. If the state should legalize marijuana, it would send a message that it's OK to use drugs, which is counterproductive to the point we are trying to make, most particularly with young adults.

William Hayden, R

Legalized marijuana is an issue that needs to be thought out. As in anything government does, they never look ahead several steps to see how this affects things.

Federal law currently prohibits it, so if it were to be legalized, things like a person's Commercial Driver License would come into play, or if they were to try to purchase a firearm, both would be subject to rejection.

Overcome the federal issue, and figure a safe way to regulate it as alcohol is, and I am all for it. But the federal issue is a major obstacle.

However, all monies from the sale of marijuana the state did receive, I would put toward the massive heroin epidemic we have. That said, I also think we have to relax the medical marijuana standards that New Jersey has, as it has shown to be huge fix for many items in the health field.

Jennifer Hamilton, D

From 1920-1933, our country underwent a "noble experiment," in part to reduce crime, improve health, solve social problems and reduce a growing tax burden from an increased jailed population. Instead, Prohibition created a strong, unregulated, underground market, which increased the potency and deadliness of alcohol, caused more crime, corruption and health problems, and took away a huge revenue stream from the government.

There is no doubt that Prohibition was a failure, yet lawmakers use the same antiquated arguments against the legalization of marijuana.

Legal marijuana is a $6.7 billion industry, and it is estimated that $300 million in taxes annually would be generated by legalization in New Jersey. This doesn't include the boon to the economy through increased jobs and the decrease of $127 million spent annually on marijuana-related arrests.

We should learn from our history that a strong underground market is more detrimental to our society than a well-regulated market and support the legalization of marijuana.

Jennifer_Hamilton_D.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: State Senate candidates discuss marijuana legalization - New Jersey Herald -
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom