No One's Told Drug-War Soldier About Peace Breaking Out

Weedpipe

420 Member
Colorado - The Obama administration has pledged to end federal interference in states that have legalized medical marijuana. But in Colorado, it has failed to call off one of its dogs.

A Coloradan who works for the president's drug-policy office is leading efforts to undermine the state's constitutional amendment allowing cannabis for medical use. On the federal dime, Tom Gorman, director of the Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area program, is lobbying state lawmakers to gut the Colorado law.

Either Gorman didn't get the memo about changes in federal drug policy, or he's going rogue. Whichever the case, no one in D.C. seems to mind.

"I'm not about to stand back and let federal drug laws in this country continue to be violated," Gorman says.

Since President Barack Obama took office a year ago, the Justice Department has taken the stance that pot-smoking patients and sanctioned suppliers shouldn't be targeted for federal prosecution in states that allow medical marijuana.

Gorman has spent years lobbying against Amendment 20, which Coloradans approved in 2000. If Obama has shifted direction on medical marijuana, the 66-year-old veteran of three administrations' drug wars obviously hasn't followed. Pot smokers are gaming the system, he complains, and addiction, chaos and moral decay no doubt will ensue. He's trying to convince lawmakers that they'd be sanctioning drug trafficking by passing a bill that would set specific rules on growing and selling pot, even for medicinal use.

"If Colorado state leaders elect to legitimize and try to regulate dispensaries, that action would be in violation of Federal Law . . .," he threatened in a memo that's being passed around the state Capitol.

"Dispensaries aren't what Coloradans had in mind when they approved the amendment," adds Gorman, who, in addition to his expertise on drugs, apparently has his finger on the pulse of the electorate.

Gorman has a contract that funnels $150,000 a year in federal money through a regional grant administered by Doug las County. Though he runs an arm of the National Drug Control Policy office in four Western states, he parses that he doesn't work for the feds.

"Technically, if you ask me who I represent, it's the Colorado Drug Investigators Association," he tells me, oddly.

That technicality exempts him from longstanding federal laws prohibiting federal workers from lobbying, he claims. Meanwhile, he's lobbying without having registered as a lobbyist, and says he's doing so with the nod of his bosses.

They wouldn't comment.

Jeffrey Sweetin, the Drug Enforcement Administration's chief in Colorado, says Gorman isn't so much lobbying as educating.

"It's not uncommon for us to weigh in at the statehouse," he says. "It's a part of the guy's job to share his expertise."

Whether for or against medical marijuana, you'll probably agree that government has no business paying functionaries to work in contradiction to its own policies.

"There's certainly something wrong when the Obama administration, on one hand, states that it's going to respect state laws, but on the other hand sends in an official to try to make those laws as restrictive as possible," says Steve Fox of the national Marijuana Policy Project.

Gorman seems curiously unconcerned about the security of his government-sponsored crusade. Drug trafficking is drug trafficking, he says, no matter what you call it.

And a lobbyist is a lobbyist, no matter which government agency happens to be laundering his paycheck.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Denver Post
Author: Susan Greene
Copyright: 2010 The Denver Post
Website:No one's told drug-war soldier about peace breaking out

this is why i am losing faith in obama and his ability to control his minions,but i am still very greatfull that we dont have the old man and the milf...if we did i may have become canadian

"Pot smokers are gaming the system, he complains, and addiction, chaos and moral decay no doubt will ensue."

Personally I think their will be less addiction,chaos and moral decay.

EXACTLY....Candy Justice, there would be less. The laws, they say, are there to protect us but it is the law that manifests into the actual problems.

i am a former mor&$!ne user due to chronie pain from neck surgery.i was unable to kick the addiction until i started using med.pot full time to control the pain and headaches and i fear the right wing morons will remake reefer madness.in california we know the real meaning of being a tea bagger:roorrip::laughtwo:

What i can't seem to comprehend is why every one who is against the legalization assumes that once the plant is free, EVERYONE will abuse it with no moral choice. It's as if they are saying that all of a sudden the world's population will become zombies who don't care about anything BUT marijuana.

and addiction, chaos and moral decay no doubt will ensue

Really? Like, for really? Does everyone who is anti-pot also believe that the American people are all unable to control themselves and are weak minded? Do these anti-pot delegates really think so little about American culture?

The message he is sending is this:
"Without government telling the people what to do, they will all revert into monkeys and throw shit at each other".

Thats what I get atleast...

I was never for or against legalization as it was not something that I really thought about until recently with my situation. Yeah I was thinking what are some people so afraid of? That the world is just gonna fall apart once its legalized? Like everyone is just gonna sit home all day high and not care? I know plenty of people like that who don't even get high. lol. Great comment flank.

Thanks flank. The part of monkey shit LOL. I think that's what the politicians have done reverted and are throwing shit all over the place. I guess We all will have to clean up the shit ... Where's the $150,000 a year in federal money for pro-medical marijuana... Both sides should be treated in equal in a grown up society and a mature adults should decide what he or she believes in. Not by declaring a war on its own citizens... Based on misinformation. Look at the history of the world and during great times of advancement some government , some society who thought that they knew it all and or religious leaders who were condemning progress based on their own special interest agendas... what a shame we cannot learn from our pass and forge a new society that all people are free to choose, not be told. Like the one I was taught in school. That America was the true home of the free ... long live the true Americans, Soldiers who died for our freedom. Especially the revolutionary soldiers who fought a war to end oppression of individual rights like religious freedom, Freedom of expression, and to live a free life and also the innocent fallen hero's of the war on drugs who's only crime is being sick... For they fought a war that brought the true freedom only to see the politicians turn into the Animal farm... :peace:

HOLD UP!!!

HOLD UP!!!

AND THEN.. when we people get busted for using and growing legally under the state constitution, we'll have to pay a shit load of dough just to prove were innocent of any criminal activity. "TECHNICALLY, IF YOU ASK ME..." were the ones getting fucked and scammed (Paying that cops $150,000 salary). All because some early 19th century retard was brainwashed into thinking a natural plant is harmful to society. common, a ten year old can figure this shit out

You know, I live in the state of Mississippi, no matter if we have medicial problems, or we just like to get high we have to get it from underground sources, you know we don't have shops or farms growing the stuff here. I enjoy pot not only to relieve my knee pain but I like to feel light, giggly, hungry, happy. I just dont understand how this can be the country of freedom when there is in actuality not much freedom at all. How can freedom be set to such things as You cant drive ur car without a seatbelt on. Who cares! Its my life! Some people say they think we will become all lazy and not care, shit ! Alcohol does that to me now ! The US Government just wants to be a ass and run as much as they can get away with. Its a feeling of power. I mean come on how many American Presidents have used Cannabis? 5 that I can think of right off the top of my head, Im sure there are plenty more. Our "Great" Country of "Freedom" was founded by those who used cannabis. Its just over the years Politicians get dumb and dumber, they end up not careing about the people and careing about thier own feats of strength. Like keeping pot illegal. I would love for Cannabis to be made Legal even for Med purposes here in Mississippi. It would be a huge change in the economics here and a hugh rep gain for Mississippi. Freedom to me is like a Line drawn on the sidewalk, and someone tell me I can walk up and down this line as much as I want. Anywhere that line goes I can go...Just dont step off that line! There are limits to our freedom and anything with limits is defintly not freedom.

i totally agree bondomatic that is why i left louisana,i'm cajun,i did not want to end up like almost all the smokers there i know with a police record.i feel your pain and wish you luck:surf::roorrip:

What i can't seem to comprehend is why every one who is against the legalization assumes that once the plant is free, EVERYONE will abuse it with no moral choice. It's as if they are saying that all of a sudden the world's population will become zombies who don't care about anything BUT marijuana.
and addiction, chaos and moral decay no doubt will ensue

Really? Like, for really? Does everyone who is anti-pot also believe that the American people are all unable to control themselves and are weak minded? Do these anti-pot delegates really think so little about American culture?

The message he is sending is this:
"Without government telling the people what to do, they will all revert into monkeys and throw shit at each other".

Thats what I get atleast...

Exactly. The government keeps thinking that it's our nanny and we're all two years old.

Back
Top Bottom