Noobie needs help with mother room

WhoWantsToNo

hey guys im a noobie to the website(but not to growing), been looking around last few days at some threads and couldnt resist signing up :tokin:

basically ive been growing for a couple of years now using tents, wilmas, 600 watt hps etc. i have always bought my cuttings of a mate but now i want to start my own mother plant/cuttings as im wanting to start a sog.

i want to use a basic grow tent 1mx1m for my mother/clones aswell? and im thinking of investing in a bright wing mother/clone light? It has 2 55watt cool white propagation light tubes, would that be enough????? or would i be better using sodium???

then im going to use a 600watt sodium and another tent to place the rooted clones into, making my sog :cheer:

i will be using a propagator also and am curious whether or not to buy a heated one???

im changing my whole operation from what i know so this is scary teritorry for me lol hope some one can help me in the right direction!!!

:thanks:
D.O.O.G.Z

You shouldn't need an HPS bulb for your mother/clones/veg room. Cool White flouros or CFL bulbs work great and produce barely any heat. I'm using 4 4' cool white flouros and a few 42w CFL bulbs in my veg room. If you don't want to use either of them, MH lights are supposed to be better for mothers/clones/veg because the spectrum of light they put out is similar to the spectrum of the summer sun whereas HPS lights put out a spectrum similar to the fall/harvest sun.

I made something like this for my CFL lights ----------------> How To Build a CFL Grow Light Fixture - CHEAP! - YouTube
It took about 20 minutes to make and puts out ~6,000 lumens, it also only cost about $30 to make, including 2 bulbs @ $10 each so it's very cheap and works great. No issues with hotspots at all. I've found that the CFL bulbs are great because they put out about the same amount of light as flouros, but it's more concentrated than flouros that spread their lumens out in a 4' line. My plants all lean towards the CFL fixtures even though they are touching the flouros. The CFL lights put out most of their light from the sides rather than the tip, so horizontal placement is a lot better than vertical unless it's totally surrounded by plants.

There's my $.02 =D

You shouldn't need an HPS bulb for your mother/clones/veg room. Cool White flouros or CFL bulbs work great and produce barely any heat. I'm using 4 4' cool white flouros and a few 42w CFL bulbs in my veg room. If you don't want to use either of them, MH lights are supposed to be better for mothers/clones/veg because the spectrum of light they put out is similar to the spectrum of the summer sun whereas HPS lights put out a spectrum similar to the fall/harvest sun.

I made something like this for my CFL lights ----------------> How To Build a CFL Grow Light Fixture - CHEAP! - YouTube
It took about 20 minutes to make and puts out ~6,000 lumens, it also only cost about $30 to make, including 2 bulbs @ $10 each so it's very cheap and works great. No issues with hotspots at all. I've found that the CFL bulbs are great because they put out about the same amount of light as flouros, but it's more concentrated than flouros that spread their lumens out in a 4' line. My plants all lean towards the CFL fixtures even though they are touching the flouros. The CFL lights put out most of their light from the sides rather than the tip, so horizontal placement is a lot better than vertical unless it's totally surrounded by plants.

There's my $.02 =D

thanks for that mate. do you run a 24hr light cycle for the mother and clones?? whats the best temperature for my cloning tent?? may aswell get it right the first time.

Back
Top Bottom