Not necessarily problems, just learning

Kinghummingbird

Howdy all. About 6 weeks into flowering on a couple Girl Scout Crack plants and things are starting to change. Some of the big white hairs (what are they called?) on one plant are starting to color. Not sure if it's just a normal transition as the plant matures or the first step towards harvest. Either way it's neat to observe. Second plant of same strain is less robust. Likely just genetics but lagging behind none the less. Still learning about feeding and nutrients and sugars and fungi. Did note a lower leaf on more advanced plant yellowing. Maybe nitrogen loss as the plant goes further into flower. Also noted brown speckles on leaf tips. Likely another nutrient deficiency. These are the first signs of any stress on the plants the entire cycle. Except maybe a phosphorus deficiency that led to the red in the stems. Any one know the best way to actually monitor nutrient levels?

Attachments

• IMG_20200412_121830.jpg
    IMG_20200412_121830.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20200412_121155.jpg
    IMG_20200412_121155.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20200412_121147.jpg
    IMG_20200412_121147.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20200412_120311.jpg
    IMG_20200412_120311.jpg
    773.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20200412_120219.jpg
    IMG_20200412_120219.jpg
    930.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20200412_114253.jpg
    IMG_20200412_114253.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 82
Welcome to 420mag.

Red stems is not a sign of anything other than genetic makeup. So dont worry about that.

I've grown red cannabis plants and black and purple and gold... so yeah stem color is not an indication of any problems with nutrients or lack of them. I don't care what anyone says.

I wood say show me the science. There isn't any.

Your plants look perfectly fine. Stay the course.

"Usually" going down the stretch to harvest the plants will start to eat up the older fan leaves. This can take many forms from yellowing completely as the plant does translocation of nitrogen and chlorophyll (the stuff that makes leaves green) to mild yellowing and if too much Nitrogen nothing at all but you will have to cure your finished flowers longer as the excess N is harsh tasting.

This translocation process starts happening when the flowers start forming. Plants use those big fans to grow larger plants (taller wider ect) once the flowers start forming the plant stops growing bigger (for the most part again genetics here) and will move those nutrients stored in the leaves to the new forming flowers.

Perfectly normal!

Your girls are looking great.

IF you feed your plant nutrients in the form of fertilizers, you should have cut back on any Nitrogen, this is not a requirement in flower for cannabis. Why you see "bloom nutes"

I dont use a lot of Nitrogen in my soil mix I lean harder on Calcium for Cannabis. I for sure supply N, its the ratios that matter.

Welcome to 420mag.

Red stems is not a sign of anything other than genetic makeup. So dont worry about that.

I've grown red cannabis plants and black and purple and gold... so yeah stem color is not an indication of any problems with nutrients or lack of them. I don't care what anyone says.

I wood say show me the science. There isn't any.

Your plants look perfectly fine. Stay the course.

"Usually" going down the stretch to harvest the plants will start to eat up the older fan leaves. This can take many forms from yellowing completely as the plant does translocation of nitrogen and chlorophyll (the stuff that makes leaves green) to mild yellowing and if too much Nitrogen nothing at all but you will have to cure your finished flowers longer as the excess N is harsh tasting.

This translocation process starts happening when the flowers start forming. Plants use those big fans to grow larger plants (taller wider ect) once the flowers start forming the plant stops growing bigger (for the most part again genetics here) and will move those nutrients stored in the leaves to the new forming flowers.

Perfectly normal!

Your girls are looking great.

IF you feed your plant nutrients in the form of fertilizers, you should have cut back on any Nitrogen, this is not a requirement in flower for cannabis. Why you see "bloom nutes"

I dont use a lot of Nitrogen in my soil mix I lean harder on Calcium for Cannabis. I for sure supply N, its the ratios that matter.
Thanks or taking the time to reply! I'm familiar with everything you said, just now getting to put the theory to practice. What a process. Trying not to get to obsessed!

Really the biggest thing sitting in my head is the anecdotal evidence I am experiencing regarding colored stems. I know there are a variety of strains that exhibit a variety of colors, but I wasn't aware that this was one. Also, the P in the NPK formula was depleted at about time I switched to flowering. Though I didn't test until afterwards. Combined with what I am perceiving to be excessively woody stalks and stems, I cant help but sweat a little. Ha!

Back
Top Bottom