Novice seeks advice

ThinkFree

hello all, i just wanted to introduce myself and say what a great resource this forum is. i've already learned so much in the short time i've been lurking.

i recently started my first grow attempt and feel like i am just stumbling around in the dark, so i was hoping i could turn to the experienced growers for help and advice along the way.

i am growing in a 2' x 3' closet with a 400w switchable hid light w/ air cooled reflector in five gallon buckets.

i have 5 caramelicious plants ordered from ams in individual buckets.

2 are in week 1 of veg.
3 are still seedlings.

i am using advanced nutrients grow micro and bloom.

2 ml / liter grow
2 ml / liter micro
0.4 ml / liter bloom

for the 2 veg.

and

1 ml / liter grow
1 ml / liter micro
1 ml / liter bloom

for the seedlings.

now for my first question:
the instructions on the label say to maintain a ph of 5.5 - 5.7,

when i set up the buckets, i use tap water which starts at about a ph of 6.9-7.0
and 50 ppms. i add the nutrients, and theni add about 1.2 ml of general hydro ph down to get it to ph 5.5. (for 15 liters)

the problem is, when i check the ph a few hours later, or the next day,
the ph is up to 6.3 - 6.4

so i'll add about half a ml of ph down. to get it to 5.6 - 5.7
but then the next day it's right back up to 6.3 - 6.4

is this normal? and if not, what could be causing it?

* i also have a humidifier running, which i fill with non ph adjusted water.
room temps range from 74 - 80 deg. f. RH is usually around 40%

light is hung just under 2ft from the tops of the plants.

plants are in 10 inch net pots filled with hydroton.
seeds were germinated in root riot.

i don't know if i left out any relevant info.
but input would be greatly appreciated.

* the 2 plants in veg are using a general hydro drip ring.
(not sure exactly what it's called.)
and also have an airstone in the bucket.

the seedlings only have airstones.

thanks in advance for your replies.

what happens is this...nutes are acidic....your PH is 6.7...adding nutes should drop you down to aprox 4.0-4.5......add the nutes and wait 6 hrs....THEN recheck...adjust if needed
I never even check my PH til 12-24 hrs later

pit viper,
thank you for your reply.

i am testing what you said right now.
i added 2 ml grow, 2 ml micro, and 0.4 ml bloom to one liter of tap.

the starting ph was 6.9.
immediately after adding the nutrients, the ph read 6.1.

i will check the ph after 6 hours.

... am i to understand that i shouldn't have to add ph down once or even twice a day. is that not "normal"?

thanks in advance.

i run advanced nutes my self and always wondered about this problem. but what i do is ph my water to 5.6-5.8 then add the nutes. i use the sensi 2 part grow&bloom, and a few other things but any way ill check the ph the next day and adjust it back down to the 5.6-5.8 range and it usually wont rise past 6.1 befor the next res change. granted you do a res change every week.

i run advanced nutes my self and always wondered about this problem. but what i do is ph my water to 5.6-5.8 then add the nutes. i use the sensi 2 part grow&bloom, and a few other things but any way ill check the ph the next day and adjust it back down to the 5.6-5.8 range and it usually wont rise past 6.1 befor the next res change. granted you do a res change every week.

Nice fix there.

Yeah, when you want your pH to be steady, you need to remember how nutes work in a hydro system. Yes, you're going to have to change your res every week, but that's a part of growing.

Good for everyone for checking their pH so much. That's something a lot of people forget to do - and then they end up on these boards. LOL

I'm not sure that nutes always do certain things to the pH, but adding too much or too little is certainly not going to help things.

:bravo:

DO NOT ADJUST YOUR PH PRIOR TO ADDING NUTES.
now I know some people dont do it that way but I do..and do my friends..and their friends

now if you really want to think outside the box....ever nute for PH?
Ive run out of acid on occaisons.....I add a few hundred more PPM and my PH ends up at 5.8.... Like I said nutes are acidic...

so it's 6 hours later, and the ph reads 6.2

ok adjust it to 5.5-5.6....or 5.7 dont try to nail it...let it rise thru to 6.2 and adjust down to 5.5...you shouldnt need to adjust more than twice a week.
I set mine at 5.5 and it ends up at 6.3 after 7 days

now if you really want to think outside the box....ever nute for PH?
Ive run out of acid on occaisons.....I add a few hundred more PPM and my PH ends up at 5.8.... Like I said nutes are acidic...

advanced nutes has ph buffers in it now as long as your water isnt higher then 7.5 out of the tap it will ajust it to what it needs to be. just need to add 2ml per liter. im liking it and so are my kids!!

advanced nutes has ph buffers in it now as long as your water isnt higher then 7.5 out of the tap it will ajust it to what it needs to be. just need to add 2ml per liter. im liking it and so are my kids!!

What, no sh!t man? Hmm, sounds like I may be pursuing this Adv. Nute line for my first DWC grow, your the man Trunks!!

Back
Top Bottom