NY: Winklevoss Twins Sue Marijuana Startup Investor For Defamation

Ron Strider

Twins Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss – famous for suing Mark Zuckerberg claiming he stole their idea for Facebook – are suing an investor in a marijuana startup for portraying them as deadbeats.

Attorney Charles Harder, who helped score a $140 million verdict against Gawker in Hulk Hogan's invasion of privacy case, is representing the Winklevoss es in a new Manhattan Supreme Court suit against professional investor Todd Steinberg.

Steinberg sued the entrepreneurial twins in Delaware in February for allegedly backing out of a $500,000 deal to buy stock in the pot-delivery app Eaze, known as the 'Uber of weed.' One of its backers is rapper and pot advocate Snoop Dogg.

Steinberg told The Post in June, "Just because you are rich and famous doesn't mean you can default."

"I believe in honoring my commitments. Unfortunately, I have had the opposite experience with Cameron and Tyler," he added.

The twins say in their suit that Steinberg knew the deal was contingent upon approval from Eaze, which never happened in part because the company switched CEOs in December.

"While Steinberg was fashioning himself as the victim, he was, instead, the aggressor," the suit says.

He tried to bully the Winklevosses by threatening to go public with his claims if they didn't pay up, according to court papers.

They refused to submit to the "extortionist tactics," the suit says.

Still, Steinberg has "caused harm to their professional reputation and prospective economic opportunities," according to court papers.

The twins are seeking unspecified damages. Steinberg withdrew the Delaware suit in September. He called the defamation suit "frivolous and deceptive."

"It's also a good example of how the powerful elite sometimes use our legal system to intimidate and silence those who would stand up to them," Steinberg said.

Cameron_and_Tyler_Winklevoss_-_Getty_Images.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Winklevoss twins sue marijuana startup investor for defamation | New York Post
Author: Julia Marsh
Photo Credit: Getty Images

Back
Top Bottom