NYC's Potheads March In Annual Parade

Ron Strider

The joint was jumping. The city's annual Cannabis Parade rolled down Broadway on Saturday – with enthusiasts buzzing that the Big Apple should soon go to pot.

Some 200 puffers assembled to march from 32nd Street to Union Square, where activists called for legalization and trumpeted the medical benefits of marijuana.

Participants also danced to reggae music and rolled their own in plain sight.

The NYPD officially frowns on any reefer madness. But the billowing clouds of acrid pot smoke from parade goers Saturday said otherwise.

"They're human beings. They're enjoying themselves. That's all that matters," said one cop at the march who took the high road.

"Thank you NYPD for letting us have our party!" crowed rally speaker Steve Bloom, who runs the marijuana-news website CelebStoner.com.

Along the puffers parade route, participants chanted "Hey hey ho, high prohibition has got to go!" and waved posters reading "Enjoy the breeze, blow trees," "Peace love and weed," and "Cannabis therapy reduced opioid deaths."

Steven Phan, 27, owner of a weed-themed clothing line, smoked a blunt with his friends as he enjoyed the mellow afternoon.

"I smoke because I enjoy the feeling. It helps me with my ADD. It slows me down, it helps me focus better," Phan said. "I prefer to do that than take Aderol or another pill. All these different people, from all walks of life come together. We all have a common reason to be here, which is pot. It's a beautiful thing."

High-rollers passed out "special" cookies and shared a pipe, while others donned weed-related wardrobe.

Activist Todd Hinden donned his signature custom made suit emblazoned with marijuana leaves. Anne Armstrong, Reverend of the Healing Church of Rhode Island, anointed the flock with cannabis oils and blew into a horn to kick off the marijuana march.

Armstrong said she puffs because it "makes me feel closer to God and more compassionate toward human beings."

One high-light: Several advocates carried a 52-foot-long inflatable joint along the parade route.

March organizer Dana Beal said the parade is a tradition that dates back to the 1970s and New York should take its cue from other states where marijuana is now legal.

"It's legal in a lot of places, which means that there is more support for it. We want to replace alcohol and cigarettes with marijuana. It's much safer. Nobody ever dies from pot. We haven't seen how far we can go yet. We can go beyond Colorado."

Piped Beal, "There is a stereotype of marijuana smokers as stoners, as boneheads, nothing upstairs, but look at what people are like on alcohol."

NYC_Cannabis_Parade_-_Erik_Mcgregor.png

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: NYC's potheads march in annual parade | New York Post
Author: Khristina Narizhnaya and Dean Balsamini
Photo Credit: Erik Mcgregor

Back
Top Bottom