Officials Sniff at Bid To Legalize Marijuana

SmokeyMacPot

Two top law enforcement officials in the Pikes Peak region think proponents of a statewide initiative to decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana will not find much support here.
The group Safer Alternative for Enjoyable Recreation, or SAFER, held a news conference Wednesday at the state Capitol to announce plans to seek voter approval to legalize possession of an ounce or less of marijuana for those 21 years or older.

The group said it will try to gather the signatures of 100,000 registered Colorado voters; it needs about 68,000 valid signatures to put the initiative on the November 2006 ballot.

Fourth Judicial District Attorney John Newsome said he thinks the group won't find a receptive audience in El Paso or Teller counties.

"I have yet to hear any discussion or clamoring for legalization of drugs," said Newsome, who said he has spoken to 60 groups since taking office in January.

Newsome said he has not seen the proposed initiative and he would have to study it before commenting directly on it. But he said he is generally opposed to any effort to legalize drugs.

"I can tell you in my line of work we see people destroyed by drugs," he said.

The advocacy group said that even if the measure passed, all home-rule cities in Colorado, including Colorado Springs, would have the ability to penalize marijuana users. The measure also would not change current law that makes selling marijuana, smoking it publicly or driving under its influence illegal.

The effort is patterned after a successful campaign by the group to decriminalize possession of an ounce or less of marijuana in Denver. Almost 54 percent of Denver voters approved the initiative last month, although Denver police have continued to cite drug users under state law that makes possession of such amounts a petty offense subject to a $100 fine.

Rick Millwright, commander of the El Paso/Teller Metro Vice, Narcotics and Intelligence Unit, said he thinks SAFER will run into demographic and philosophical differences it didn't have in its bid to legalize pot in Denver.

"Colorado Springs is different than Denver," Millwright said. "Passing something like this in Denver is one thing, but I think it will be an uphill fight here in this very conservative community."

Colorado Attorney General John Suthers and House Speaker Andrew Romanoff, D-Denver, said they will oppose the measure if it gets on the November 2006 ballot.

"You would basically give people in Colorado a free pass," Suthers said. "My personal opinion is that it's not good public policy."

Romanoff said Colorado already has one of the highest drug-use rates in the nation but ranks near the bottom for drug treatment.

He said that if the initiative passes, it could be tied up in courts for years.

Although Newsome doesn't believe there would be much support locally for legalizing marijuana, he said he has seen some change in thinking among residents about how to handle drug use.

He said he thinks there is some support for allowing marijuana use for serious medical conditions, and he thinks many people would rather see drug users get help rather than being sent to jail.

He said his office is creating a drug court in Teller County, patterned after one in El Paso County, that would offer treatment rather than incarceration for some drug users.

In 2000, a majority of El Paso County and Colorado voters approved an initiative allowing the use and cultivation of of marijuana for people whose doctors prescribed it.

Newsome said such state laws can conflict with federal drug laws, and there are ongoing legal cases, particularly in California, about which laws should take precedence. He said he could envision a similar problem if the proposed initiative passes.

Mason Tvert, the executive director of SAFER, said federal laws focus on distribution, not possession, and probably would not be used to prosecute personal marijuana consumption.

Tvert also said he does not believe Colorado lawmakers would try to change the law back if voters agree to relax it.

Karen Flowers, spokeswoman for the Denver office of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, said the Supreme Court has upheld the supremacy of federal drug laws over state and local laws, and she thinks any change decriminalizing state law would fail. She also said federal drug laws make simple possession of marijuana a civil offense.

She said the DEA believes the Denver group's latest initiative is part of a concerted effort by well-funded lobbying groups in Washington, D.C., to decriminalize all drugs.

"This is not a grass-roots Colorado effort," she said. "They're trying to make us guinea pigs."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source: Gazette, The (Colorado Springs, CO)
Author: Bill McKeown
Published: December 29, 2005
Copyright: 2005 The Gazette

It would be nice if this was a country-wide initiative. It sounds like a sensible plan.
The group Safer Alternative for Enjoyable Recreation, or SAFER, held a news conference Wednesday at the state Capitol to announce plans to seek voter approval to legalize possession of an ounce or less of marijuana for those 21 years or older.
MJ is alot less harmful and fatal than alcohol and that is readily available- yet it has no medicinal qualities. I dont see how people like me, who use it for medicinal purposes, who cant find a doctor nor live in a place where it is legalized for med purposes, are supposed to survive this war. Honestly, I believe MJ is one of the things that has sustained me for this long. I am now learning of all the actual chemical benefits of this "drug" and find it astonishing that it isnt more readily available for medical use or at least decriminalized to a degree--- but I also suppose that is the MAN keeping us down. It is is historically proven that alcohol destroys people. Look at my american indian heritage...destroyed by alcohol.....It only makes sense to keep something of the sort legal while criminalizing something that would make us stronger, healthier, happier people.

Back
Top Bottom