OH: Mayfield Heights City Council Extends Its Medical Marijuana Moratorium

Katelyn Baker

Mayfield Heights, Ohio - City Council, without discussion and without dissent passed an ordinance extending the city's moratorium on the cultivation, processing and dispending of medical marijuana in Mayfield Heights.

Council passed a six-month moratorium on medical marijuana businesses operating in the city in September, an act carried out by several area municipalities in 2016, and renewed it Monday for another six months.

"We want to take a look at the law and the zoning we can implement before we go forward," Mayor Anthony DiCCicco. "We want to see if it's a good fit.

"We see that other cities are going ahead with it and we want to see what happens with them to maybe give us more of an example."

Reecently, Richmond Heights City Council decided it will pursue the business, made legal in Ohio last June but not yet in operation in the state. The city's council believes it will add needed revenue to Richmond Heights. Richmond Heights repealed its moratorium.

In addition, South Euclid Mayor Georgine Welo has stated that that city will also seek to attract medical marijuana business.

Meanwhile, on March 6, Lyndhurst City Council voted to extend its six-month moratorium. Highland Heights has passed legislation stating it does not want such businesses operating within its borders.

DiCicco said he has been contacted by one person in the medical marijuana business asking about possibly doing business in Mayfield Heights.

As for the use and production of medical marijuana, DiCicco said, "I don't even know if it can be produced in Mayfield Heights. We don't have a manufacturing district.

Speaking about his stance on the matter, DiCicco said, "I haven't made up my mind yet on it."

Mayfield_heights_logo_carpet.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Mayfield Heights City Council Extends Its Medical Marijuana Moratorium
Author: Jeff Piorskowski
Photo Credit: Jeff Piorskowski

Back
Top Bottom