OH: Medical Marijuana Gives Hope To Area Families

Ron Strider

Kim Lallathin starts each morning by holding her breath and walking into her daughter’s room.

“I’ll sit there for a minute and make sure I can hear her,” Lallathin, 47, said.

She has done that since Ciara’s troubled birth 13 years ago. Her daughter died in the womb and was revived by doctors after roughly 14 minutes. Lack of oxygen caused swelling and extensive damage to Ciara’s brain. She can’t communicate and has little control over her body.

Their lives have been a little more peaceful since Lallathin began administering Charlotte’s Web. It’s a cannabis extract low in tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) — a psychoactive chemical compound — and high in cannabidiol (CBD) — a non-psychoactive compound more often used for medical purposes.

Ciara had experience internal or external “seizure activity” every few seconds, Lallathin said. There are a variety of seizures, but the worst for Lallathin to watch is when Ciara’s muscles become stiff and her breathing stops. A dog’s bark, a door shutting, or attempts to wake, hug or kiss Ciara would trigger them.

“Since we started that oil, we don’t have those seizures like that,” Lallathin said. “I mean, it’s amazing. Some days we don’t have any. Some days we’ll have a few of them throughout the day, but the duration of them is just for a couple seconds rather than being for 10, 15 or 20 seconds or longer.”

Early experimentation

Lallathin, who lives southeast of Atwood Lake, began Ciara’s CBD oil treatment in October.

Ohio’s law legalizing medical marijuana took effect Sept. 8, paving the way for Ohio families like the Lallathins to try cannabis treatments.

State medical, pharmacy and commerce boards are required to establish the Ohio Medical Marijuana Control Program by September 2018.

In the meantime, prospective patients are supposed to be protected from prosecution with a doctor’s written recommendation. The state, however, provides no guidance about where to obtain legal forms for medical marijuana.

Qualifying conditions include Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, seizure disorders and more than 20 ailments listed at Medical Marijuana Control Program. The law allows for oils, tinctures, plant material, edibles, patches and vaping. Smoking or growing cannabis plants for personal use is not permitted.

Lallathin has purchased Charlotte’s Web online, where it’s marketed as a hemp extract. The oil contains 0.3 percent or less THC, according to the company’s website, and legally can be shipped in the United States as hemp.

“It’s in that gray area,” Lallathin said.

Most states define hemp as a variety of cannabis with a low THC concentration used for industrial purposes, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Taboo and overdue

Lallathin lives with her 13-year-old daughter and 7-year-old son on a 12-acre “mini farm” off state Route 39. Their house sits atop a steep, stone driveway.

In mid-June, Ciara sat outside as a chicken walked across their wooden deck. A cat lounged under the girl’s wheelchair, where a “star student” ribbon hangs on the handle.

Initially, school administrators didn’t want Ciara to come while using Charlotte’s Web. Lallathin said they reconsidered after realizing Ciara wouldn’t be taking the medication to school.

She also faced “attitude and stigma” from medical professionals and family members when starting the treatment. Lallathin said Ciara’s doctor recommended another doctor because he didn’t feel comfortable with CBD oil.

She tells doctors who treat Ciara about all the drugs regularly in her daughter’s system: Phenobarbital, Topomax, Doxazosin, Miralax and Charlotte’s Web.

“I’m not going to lie,” Lallathin said. “I’m doing what’s best for my daughter, and I know it, so I’m going to be honest about it.”

To document any changes before and after Charlotte’s Web, doctors administered an electroencephalogram (EEG) in September and February. An EEG measures electrical impulses in the brain.

The first, 24-hour test captured more than 25 seizures. The second, 20-hour test showed nine, according to Lallathin and medical records she shared.

In addition to the EEGs, family members have noted that Ciara has a more relaxed appearance. Now, Lallathin is upset Ciara didn’t have the option of CBD oil from the start.

“Rather than fighting a constant battle, every day, all day long, she could’ve been healing,” she said.

A costly treatment

The retail price of Charlotte’s Web is $274 for an approximately 3-ounce bottle, a cost Medicaid does not pick up. Ciara’s other medications are covered.

Lallathin gives her daughter 2.5 milliliters twice a day, which means each bottle lasts nearly three weeks. It’s half the daily dosage doctors initially recommended because Lallathin can’t afford a bottle every 10 days.

The only other drawback appears to be the oil’s taste, which causes Ciara to make a disgusted face.

“I’m elated,” Lallathin said of the treatment’s results. “I’m so happy with the improvements.”

She would like Ohio regulations to allow higher levels of THC as a treatment option, though, and personal plant growth, so she might produce her own oil.

In Akron, a family living under similar circumstances is awaiting their chance to try medical marijuana. Samantha Wade, whose 3-year-old son has epilepsy and cerebral palsy, said they’ve received a verbal OK from their doctor but are awaiting a written recommendation.

“Ultimately, we will only begin giving medical marijuana to Ryland under the close watch of his doctors, once they can help manage his doses and monitor interactions (if any) with the medications he’s currently taking,” she wrote in an email.

Wade stated she hopes such treatment can reduce or eliminate the need for Ryland’s five medications, given multiple times a day. They can cause drowsiness and other side effects, such as cognitive delays, gastrointestinal issues and liver damage.

She recognizes that medical marijuana might not work for Ryland but believes it’s worth a try after reading information on the Epilepsy Foundation website and talking with other families about their results.

“The only way to know exactly how it may help him, is to actually try,” Wade said.

Ashley_-_The_Associated_Press.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical marijuana gives hope to area families - News - The Repository - Canton, OH
Author: Kelly Byer
Photo Credit: The_Associated_Press
Website: The Repository: Local & World News, Sports & Entertainment in Canton, OH

Thank you for sharing our story, I am soo thankful for the benefits we have seen so far and soo look forward to being able to legally access cannabis in the future. This natural herb should of never been illegal to begin with. especially when compared to all of our present legal options. Seems the government forgot the rights and the freedoms our nation was founded upon. Please keep speaking up and sharing all of your stories too. Write as many Senators as you can, this corruption needs corrected and by all of us working together we can get this wrong righted. I tried to add a photo of Ciara and I couldn't get it to upload.

Back
Top Bottom