Ohio: Group Rallies For Marijuana Ballot Measure

Jacob Redmond

Nikki Rush was waving a sign in favor of marijuana decriminalization at a rally that took place downtown at noon Friday because she believes in the necessity of medical marijuana for people like her.

Miss Rush, 33, has suffered from lupus for years and a year ago was diagnosed with leukemia. She thinks medical marijuana can help, based on the effects it had on her mother, who also suffers from lupus.

“In order for me to live a comfortable life, I’d have to move to Michigan,” Miss Rush said. “I’d rather stand up here to legalize [marijuana].”

Toledo voters will decide on a ballot measure next month that, if approved, would eliminate fines and jail time for marijuana violations, as well as prohibit asset forfeitures and driver’s license suspensions for marijuana violations.

Miss Rush and her fiance, Josh Karcher, who also participated in Friday’s rally, said that the health argument is one of many reasons to advocate for decriminalization. “Everybody has their own reason to be here,” they both said.

Edward Kleppinger, 56, the owner of 632 Main, a smoke shop in Toledo, said that decriminalization would “free up police time to fight hard drugs.” Several advocates cited marijuana decriminalization as a path to curbing heroin and opioid abuse in the region.

Despite their disparate motivations, the ragtag group stood together on Adams Street between Michigan and Ontario streets near the Lucas County Courthouse, encouraging people to vote for the decriminalization measure. They cheered when they heard honks from passing cars, including a Toledo police vehicle that briefly sounded its siren.

The advocates waved signs that said “Vote Yes on Issue 1” and “Community Chest for Full Decriminalization of Marijuana.”

The latter sign was a cheeky nod to the sign-wielders’ wacky attire, or lack thereof. The bulk of the women at the event, which lasted from noon to 2 p.m., were topless, their chests painted over with American flags, their legs covered with green glitter paint.

Mr. Karcher of Toledo said that roughly 75 people had gathered in the morning, including about three dozen women. However, many of the women were “scared away” when Toledo police said they could be arrested for indecent exposure and the event shut down because they had no permit to protest.

However, Lt. Joe Heffernan, public information officer for the Toledo Police Department, said no arrests resulted from the rally.

“I remember hearing a call about that this afternoon, about the toplessness,” he said. “I don’t think any arrests were made.”

“Honestly it’s something we very rarely run into,” he said regarding the toplessness.

Sean Nestor, campaign manager for Sensible Toledo, the citizen’s group that has pushed the initiative to legalize marijuana, issued a statement today distancing the group from the bare-chested campaigning taking place downtown.

In a written statement, he referred to the display as a “well-intentioned” but “rogue demonstration” that does more harm than good.

“While we appreciate that citizens are excited about this initiative, we would ask that they avoid sensationalist tactics that cheapen the image of our movement,” he stated.

15305.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Group Rallies For Marijuana Ballot Measure
Author: Andrew Koenig
Photo Credit: Jeffrey Thompson/MPR News

Back
Top Bottom