Ohio House Committee Hears Testimony On Medical Marijuana

Truth Seeker

On Wednesday, the Ohio House Committee heard testimony for House Bill 153, which would permit medical marijuana use by patients with chronic or debilitating medical conditions.

During the hearing, Rep. Robert Hagan, supporter of HB 153, and Committee Chair, Rep. Lynn Wachtmann, could not agree on the need for marijuana use to be legalized in Ohio, even for medical applications.

As part of the testimony, the Ohio Rights Group stated a 2009 University of Cincinnati poll shows 73 percent of Ohioans are in favor of marijuana use to relieve pain and suffering for people with chronic pain.

The group also said the lack of progress in the Statehouse leaves them little recourse other than a statewide ballot initiative.

The Ohio Rights Group said the group has passed two hurdles so far: the Ohio Attorney General has certified the ballot initiative, and the Ballot Board has approved the language.

Now, the group said they have 13 months to collect 385,253 signatures to get the amendment on the ballot.

Twenty-four-year-old Angelica Warren, of Columbus, had a brain tumor the size of an apple in 2008. She said she went through 13 hours of surgery and two years of chemotherapy. She was prescribed anti-nausea medication causing her to lose weight. At one point she weighed only 98 pounds.

"I couldn't eat, sleep or get out of bed and I was so lethargic," Warren said. "I had friends who convinced me to smoke some marijuana and within minutes I was laughing along with them and ate food, which I was able to keep down - it was the first time I saw my mother cry."

The group said the marijuana use would be governed by a regulatory board and prescribed by a physician. Under the amendment, clients deemed eligible could grow, produce, distribute and transport marijuana without the threat of breaking the law.

Smoking_Joint3.JPG

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: nbc4i.com
Author: Rick Reitzel
Contact: Contact Us - WCMH: News, Weather, and Sports for Columbus, Ohio
Website: Ohio House Committee Hears Testimony On Medical Marijuana - WCMH: News, Weather, and Sports for Columbus, Ohio

Back
Top Bottom