State Rep. Robert F. Hagan
Representative Kenny Yuko

Against Medical Cannabis
Gov. Ted Strickland
Senate President Bill Harris of Ashland
Tony Hocevar
Sen. Bill Seitz, a Cincinnati-area Republican

Quote-
Gov. Ted Strickland, a Democrat, and Senate President Bill Harris of Ashland, R-19th, don’t support it.

Quote-Although the federal government decided last October to ease up on prosecuting patients using medical marijuana, Sen. Bill Seitz, a Cincinnati-area Republican known for his libertarian views on many issues, said federal law still prohibits it, and that keeps him in the opposition column.

"The key to this is the federal government," Seitz said. "If they get the hell out of this role and turn this over to the states to let them decide if they want to have medical marijuana, I think this would pass in the legislature. It would at least overcome my objection, I can tell you that."

Tony Hocevar- Quote-His Republican opponent, Tony Hocevar, sent an e-mail around to some supporters last week suggesting that Yuko was "not thinking clearly" to sponsor the bill and asking, "Could it be something he is smoking?"

Hagan ‘delayed support’ of new marijuana bill

By DAVID SKOLNICK

YOUNGSTOWN

State Rep. Robert F. Hagan initially hesitated to co-sponsor a bill legalizing medical marijuana in Ohio.

Hagan, D-60th, said he remembered false accusations on fliers by two organizations — The Liberty Committee of Independence, Ohio, and New Vision Youngstown — during his 2005 failed run for Youngstown mayor, that he introduced a bill to legalize marijuana.

Hagan’s bill, which died without a committee hearing, would have legalized marijuana for medical purposes only.

Hagan said he “delayed support” of the new proposal, concerned that people would misunderstand the bill’s language.

Hagan said he decided to co-sponsor the bill after state Rep. Kenny Yuko, the new bill’s main sponsor, introduced him to a group of people with multiple sclerosis, who urged his support.

Yuko, of Richmond Heights, D-7th, also has MS.

Hagan said the visit also made him think of his mother, who died in December.

“We upped the dose of morphine, quite a bit, to alleviate some of that pain,” he said Monday. “I asked my mother, after she had gone through radiation treatments and more medicine than anybody else should be able to handle, if she wanted marijuana.”

Hagan’s mother declined, but the legislator said legalizing medical marijuana would give others in a similar position an option.

Hagan said his father, who died about five years ago, also suffered through great pain during his final days.

“It’s about compassion,” he said of legalizing medical marijuana.

Even so, too many state legislators “fear” political backlash if they support the bill, meaning it won’t pass, Hagan said.

Gov. Ted Strickland, a Democrat, and Senate President Bill Harris of Ashland, R-19th, don’t support it.

The bill would let doctor-certified medical marijuana users grow plants, and be in possession of no more than 200 grams of usable dried marijuana or 12 mature cannabis plants.

Hagan’s proposal allowed 1,000 grams of usable marijuana and 1,000 grams in living plant form.

Another problem is people don’t understand the proposal, Hagan said. He pointed to a headline on the front page of Monday’s edition of The Vindicator that reads: “Hagan bill to legalize marijuana fires up foes.”

“This is why it doesn’t go anywhere,” Hagan said, adding that the headline doesn’t say it would be doctor- prescribed marijuana for those with certain medical conditions. “This scares people.”

Fourteen states have legalized medical marijuana.

Source: Youngstown News, Hagan ‘delayed support’ of new marijuana bill

Most Ohioans support medical marijuana, pollsters say, but state lawmakers shy away

and ideologies tell pollsters that they support allowing Ohio doctors to prescribe marijuana to their patients.

But Gov. Ted Strickland and most Ohio lawmakers don't.

So a medical marijuana bill introduced last week by Rep. Kenny Yuko and a handful of House Democrats has pretty much already gone up in smoke, despite what most Ohioans may think.

A May 2009 Ohio Poll, conducted by the Institute for Policy Research at the University of Cincinnati, found that 73 percent of Ohio adults favored allowing medical marijuana. And earlier this month, a national survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press came up with the same results.

So if more than seven out of 10 citizens support Ohio becoming the 15th state to allow medicinal marijuana, why don't more state lawmakers?

Rep. Bob Hagan, a Youngstown-area lawmaker and a co-sponsor of Yuko's bill, said lawmakers are just plain yellow.

"They just aren't brave enough to do it," Hagan said. "There is a real lack of courage on this issue."

The outspoken Democrat, who was the lone lawmaker to support the state's first attempt at medical marijuana legislation back in 2005, said some of the hesitancy may stem from how the issue can be easily twisted.

For example, Hagan said when he ran unsuccessfully for mayor of Youngstown in 2005, his opponent used his support for medical marijuana to claim that he was for outright pot legalization.

"It wasn't true, but it takes too long to explain and get out the truth," Hagan said. "I think lawmakers are fearful that they will get attacked and won't be able to get the explanation out."

He said several conservative Republican lawmakers have privately told him that they support medical marijuana, but think it is political suicide to back it publicly. But does that perception match the current reality, given the poll numbers?

Republican political consultant Mark Weaver said that the public's view of medical marijuana has changed somewhat because the plant has been successfully branded as a way to help glaucoma and cancer patients.

"I think it's becoming less unpopular. I think the aggregate of attitudes are trending more towards neutral," Weaver said. "And you know, it's a tough economy, and very few people care about marijuana laws."

But he said the medical marijuana issue is a "moving target" because perceptions could shift if more news stories highlighted the ease of obtaining prescriptions in states such as California, which has a fairly lax standard for treatment.

"It's one thing to give it to Grandma that has glaucoma, but if you start seeing stories that show that Grandson is walking down the street with his buddies, and Dr. Feelgood can hand him a prescription and give him marijuana right away, I think people might see it differently," he said.

Ed Orlett, a former lawmaker who helped draft Yuko's bill, said the wink and a nod policy in California is a far cry from what Ohio's bill would put in place. Orlett, the Ohio representative for the California-based Drug Policy Alliance, said that an ongoing relationship with a doctor would be needed to become a certified user, and only sufferers of certain diseases would qualify for medicinal pot.

The bill would let doctor-certified medical marijuana users grow plants, but they would have to be kept in a locked room, greenhouse, garden or other enclosed area out of view.

Despite the safeguards in the bill, Yuko could find his support of it becoming an issue as the Richmond Heights Democrat runs for re-election in his overwhelmingly Democratic district.

His Republican opponent, Tony Hocevar, sent an e-mail around to some supporters last week suggesting that Yuko was "not thinking clearly" to sponsor the bill and asking, "Could it be something he is smoking?"

Hocevar said he wasn't accusing Yuko of smoking pot, but was trying to suggest the medical marijuana issue should be discussed.

"I'm just questioning if this is something the community wants," he said. "I think that is a question that is out there for discussion."

Yuko -- who has multiple sclerosis but isn't seeking to use marijuana for his condition -- said he isn't worried about being attacked for pushing what he sees as a quality-of-life issue for sick Ohioans.

"I don't think I'm hurting my chances of re-election; I think I'm growing a fan club," he said. "I'm just standing up for what a majority of Ohioans believe in."

Although the federal government decided last October to ease up on prosecuting patients using medical marijuana, Sen. Bill Seitz, a Cincinnati-area Republican known for his libertarian views on many issues, said federal law still prohibits it, and that keeps him in the opposition column.

"The key to this is the federal government," Seitz said. "If they get the hell out of this role and turn this over to the states to let them decide if they want to have medical marijuana, I think this would pass in the legislature. It would at least overcome my objection, I can tell you that."

Of course, some lawmakers simply oppose the medicinal use of marijuana for any number of reasons.

Amanda Wurst, a spokeswoman for Strickland, said the Democratic governor hasn't seen Yuko's bill, but thinks medical marijuana laws are unnecessary.

"The governor feels that the predominant opinion of the medical community is that there are existing medicines available that provide appropriate patient care," Wurst said. "So based on that opinion and the current research, he feels this type of legislation doesn't seem necessary or warranted."

Senate President Bill Harris, an Ashland Republican, also opposes the legislation, while House Speaker Armond Budish, a Beachwood Democrat, wouldn't commit to a stance. His spokesman Keary McCarthy said Budish will wait until the bill comes out of committee to consider its merits.

Strickland's concerns over the medical necessity of marijuana dovetail with those expressed by other opponents of the legislation, such as Patricia Harmon, executive director of the Drug Free Action Alliance, who thinks marijuana needs to go through the formal scrutiny of the Food and Drug Administration.

Given all the opposition from elected officials, it might be easier for medical marijuana backers to get an issue on the state ballot. But Orlett predicted Ohio will wait behind other states before a multi-million dollar pot ballot push happens here because of those lawmaker attitudes.

"There are other states where the overall climate and the attitude of the legislature is better, so that the opposition isn't going to be quite as strong as it would be here," he said.

Source: Most Ohioans support medical marijuana, pollsters say, but state lawmakers shy away | cleveland.com

PRO Medical Cannabis
State Rep. Bob Hagan- The bills sponsor

Against Medical Cannabis
Gov. Ted Strickland
Senate President Bill Harris

Quote-Amanda Wurst, a spokeswoman for Gov. Ted Strickland, said the Democratic governor thinks medical marijuana laws are unnecessary.

"The governor feels that the predominant opinion of the medical community is that there are existing medicines available that provide appropriate patient care," Wurst said. "So based on that opinion and the current research, he feels this type of legislation doesn't seem necessary or warranted."

Quote-Senate President Bill Harris, an Ashland Republican, also opposes the legislation, while House Speaker Armond Budish, a Beachwood Democrat, wouldn't commit to a stance. His spokesman Keary McCarthy said Budish will wait until the bill comes out of committee to consider its merits.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Sponsor Thinks Ohio's Medical Marijuana Proposal Is Long Shot

COLUMBUS, Ohio-- Fear of a political backlash is keeping the state Legislature from approving medical marijuana in Ohio, a lawmaker said.

State Rep. Bob Hagan, a Democrat from Youngstown, co-sponsored a bill last week that would make Ohio the 15th state to allow medicinal marijuana. But Hagan said the bill is certain to go nowhere because his colleagues in the Legislature aren't brave enough to pass it.

He said several conservative Republican lawmakers have privately told him that they support medical marijuana but think it is political suicide to back it publicly.

The bill would let doctor-certified medical marijuana users grow plants, but they would have to be kept in a locked room, greenhouse, garden or other enclosed area out of view.

A 2009 poll conducted by the Institute for Policy Research at the University of Cincinnati found that 73 percent of Ohio adults favored allowing medical marijuana.

Amanda Wurst, a spokeswoman for Gov. Ted Strickland, said the Democratic governor thinks medical marijuana laws are unnecessary.

Other opponents say marijuana should go through the formal scrutiny of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Senate President Bill Harris, an Ashland Republican, also opposes the legislation, while House Speaker Armond Budish, a Beachwood Democrat, wouldn't commit to a stance. His spokesman Keary McCarthy said Budish will wait until the bill comes out of committee to consider its merits.

California in 1996 became the first of the 14 states that have legalized medicinal marijuana. Many jurisdictions around the country have also decriminalized marijuana to the point that low-level possession offenses are not prosecuted.

States such as California and Colorado have also been struggling to deal with an explosion in the number of medical marijuana dispensaries in recent years, a trend that has made pot readily available to the public.

California voters will soon decide whether to become the first state to legalize pot.

The initiative, also known as the "Tax Cannabis Act," received enough signatures to qualify for the November ballot. If it is approved, California would become the first state to legalize marijuana for recreational use by adults. The measure would also give local governments the authority to regulate and tax pot sales.

Source: Sponsor Thinks Ohio's Medical Marijuana Proposal Is Long Shot | NBC 4i

Ohio is so fucking backwards .

We need some of the incumbents out .Or alot of old people gone.
Met Strickland a few times total asshole.

Jim Jordan (R-Ohio)/ Against Medical Cannabis

Congress last year lifted a longstanding ban on use of public money to support medical marijuana in Washington, D.C., but now a pair of Republican lawmakers want to block implementation of the law.

The Washington Post reported June 23 that Reps. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) and Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) have filed a resolution to have Congress disapprove the law, which would otherwise go into effect in July. Congressional lawmakers blocked the law, approved by district residents in 1998, for more than a decade before relenting last year.

The Chaffetz/Jordan proposed joint resolution is not expected to pass, but the law could still be challenged through the budget process.

Ohio House Candidates Voice Platforms At Forum

At a public forum for the local Ohio House seat yesterday, one candidate stressed the importance of alternative energy while another voiced his disagreement regarding Ohio University students' voting in Athens.

About 40 people gathered at the Athens Public Library, 30 Home St., as 92nd Ohio House District state representative candidates Debbie Phillips, the incumbent Democrat, and Mike Hunter, the Republican challenger, answered questions from citizens and media members about their goals and plans for the state government.

Ty Collinsworth, the Green Party challenger, did not attend the forum.

Phillips advocated the importance of alternative energy sources in the area, adding that there is access to great resources and research facilities in Athens.

"(Alternative energy) is a sector of our economy that is actually adding jobs, and when I say that, I'm including everything from clean coal to solar and wind," Phillips said.

Hunter said most solar and wind power sources are still in the experimental stage. Alternative energy sources would raise costs and create jobs that would not stay, he added.

The candidates also disagreed on the position of student voters in Athens when asked if they deemed it fair that students vote here.

Students should be allowed to vote where they feel at home, Phillips said. Some students are more involved in the Athens community than they are in their home communities, she added.

Hunter disagreed with Phillips.

"I don't think its fair," Hunter said. "I think students should be voting where they consider home - and home being the person that is paying the bills."

One of Hunter's major goals is to decrease government spending.

"The federal spending has become ruinous, and the state is not that far behind," Hunter said, adding that there has been a lack of leadership in fixing the $8 billion deficit in the state budget.

Phillips said she took over the 92nd seat at a difficult time, and that the state has made progress but more is still to come.

"We have been dealing with the impacts of a national recession, and we have seen that very clearly in our local community here as well as across the state," Phillips said.

The candidates were also asked their opinions about medical marijuana. Ohio House Bill 478 was proposed in April to legalize the drug for medical use.

It is important to hear all information and issues about the bill, as well as to hear testimony of people who are for and against the bill before making a decision, Phillips said.

Hunter disagreed and said abuse could happen if the bill were to pass.

"I think (the bill) is an excuse to try to come in the back door for popular use of marijuana," Hunter said. "I have seen that it has been abused in other states."

Both candidates ended the forum by restating their major goals. Hunter said controlling spending is his largest concern, while Phillips said she finds recovering from the recession her most important goal.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed:420 MAGAZINE
Source:thepost.ohiou.edu
Author: Marika Lee
Copyright: 2010 thepost.ohiou.edu

Re: Ohio House Candidates Voice Platforms At Forum

The candidates were also asked their opinions about medical marijuana. Ohio House Bill 478 was proposed in April to legalize the drug for medical use.

It is important to hear all information and issues about the bill, as well as to hear testimony of people who are for and against the bill before making a decision, Phillips said.

Hunter disagreed and said abuse could happen if the bill were to pass.

"I think (the bill) is an excuse to try to come in the back door for popular use of marijuana," Hunter said. "I have seen that it has been abused in other states."

Both candidates ended the forum by restating their major goals. Hunter said controlling spending is his largest concern, while Phillips said she finds recovering from the recession her most important goal.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed:420 MAGAZINE
Source:thepost.ohiou.edu
Author: Marika Lee
Copyright: 2010 thepost.ohiou.edu

I travel to Ohio a few times a year and have friends and relatives there. From what I've been able to determine, HB478 is virtually unknown at the general citizen level. Outside of the activists - who can obviously be counted on to seek knowledge of anything of this nature - it's been my experience that the man/woman on the street doesn't know that the bill even exists. (I am, of course, trying to do my part in changing that.)

Due to the nature of the subject, coupled with the fact of that state's population's almost total ignorance, I do not expect this bill to become a law.

Back
Top Bottom