One step heating vs two

Tedmarx38

Somewhere I saw a technique where you skip the first step of decarbing on a cookie sheet, and simply put the product into coconut oil and heat them for a few hours. This both decarbs the product and extracts the goodness into the oil in one step.

I’ve made capsules many times the traditional way - decarbing on a sheet and then infusing and heating in a glass bowl for a few hours. I’ve never understood the advantage of this two-step heating approach vs doing it all at once. Less mess!

Appreciate any insight - thanks.

I make salve, or what is called topicals in modern language, and have tried both methods many times.

I found that the one step method that you mention produced a salve that was not as strong as the two step.

Probably did the one step method about 7-8 times. After each time the salve would go off to whoever had mentioned wanting some. Their reports back were that it worked. No complaints but I felt something was lacking.

Before long I decided to try the 2 step method. Over about a 15 month period I used the 2 step and sent those samples and full size containers off to whoever. The comments that came back were that the new salve was helping with joint pains and muscle aches much sooner after being applied and that the relief from the pains and aches lasted longer. Best was that the relief felt stronger or had penetrated deeper into the joint of sore muscles. And, when it helped ease pain longer they did not have to keep rubbing it on as often or have to use as much.

Since those tests I have settled on the first step of heating on a cookie sheet being at an oven temp of 180F for 2 to as long as 4 hours. Then into the oil for 30 to 36 hours.

It does not mean that I keep the oven going for 36 hours. I will start the second step and when I fall asleep my wife will turn the oven off when she is going to bed. She makes a note of what time it is. When I wake up I will start the oven back up. I keep the notes and when 30 hours is up I start looking and smelling the warm coconut oil & weed infusion and I turn off the oven when I think it has reached an optimal stage.

Yes, it is more time involved but I feel the results are worth it. I do the decarb and cooking steps in winter or when we get a cool spell in the summer when the air-conditioner does not have to be running.

Thanks, very helpful. After my post I did some further digging, and somewhere found an article that explained it. Something about the one step not fully decarbing such that the product gets stuck on a semi decarbed state.

Back
Top Bottom