Open Forum - Diatomaceous Earth - Let's go!

Fish4Fun420

I did a little bit of searching and saw some vague posts that mentioned it but after last nights discussion about mite problems and creepy crawly creatures I decided that I should find out the name I couldn't recall at the time when I mentioned "powdered glass" on BAR's Reps Game (which was awesome btw!). I have used DE myself but I knew very little about it, as I am not an expert I decided to use a few .gov and .edu sites, I referenced off each other and the facts seem to be solid. I should also add that these facts are based off of pure DE studies if you were to get it in a bag mixed with other chemicals there may be other side effects. Like making your weed taste like a dryer sheet, no one likes dryer sheet weed so look at the labels people. I'll start this shebang and from there let's talk about it. I had to look it up how to pronounce: DIE-A-TOE-MAY-SHUS :laughtwo::smokin:
:thumb:
DE1.jpg

What is DE? Diatomaceous Earth or DE for short is a large deposit of the fossilized remains of plankton and other aquatic remains. Sometimes DE is found on the surface in deserts but for the most part the deposits have to be mined to be extracted.

What does DE do? DE causes insects to dry out and die by absorbing the oils and fats from the cuticle of the insect's exoskeleton. "But Mr Fun" you might ask "Do mites have exoskeletons they are tiny!", yes little Jimmy they do! "But Mr Fun how long does it take them to die?", well Jimmy the bigger the bug the longer it'll take to perish. Studies show:: Bedbugs and smaller start to die within 24hrs, Beetles 7-21 days. Black ants within 24 hours and Red ants in only 16 hours.

Is DE safe for me? DE is not poisonous. If you happen to get any in your system from applying it and possibly inhaling or getting some in your mouth it will dissolve into your system and you won't be harmed. In a study they had people eat DE and there were no noticeable differences, blood and urine studies did not show any changes.

Is DE safe for my pets? DE is not poisonous to the furry four leggeds. It's all natural and will dissolve into the body just like with humans. I could not find any long term studies but I personally would not want my dog eating it for my own peace of mind.

Different applications? DE can be spread around the grows where your plants are buried.
DE2.jpg

I have also seen people use double sided tape and place one side in DE and then wrap it around the base and or lip of the pots. On the same token I have also personally used those gooey bug strips you hang from the ceiling and have wrapped that around the base of the pot and it stops bugs dead in their tracks but also gets gunked up if anything touches it.

You can blow DE directly onto the plants which would be fine but if you are in the budding phase I would doubt that would be a course of action you or I would want to take. If the plants are in a pot or in the ground a trash bag and some lady bugs will do the trick. Wait till night time, bag the plant and add a few cups of lady bugs. Lady bugs are active around the clock so come morning you can take the bag off, they will fly about but are harmless and then the next night you can repeat the process. Also if you notice only the top of a plant has mites you can bag just that area so the Lady Bugs have an easier time in close quarters with those intruders. I have also used a vacuum in the past before I bag and after I take the bag off to get quicker results.

As I was reading up on DE it looks like it has a use as a medium in hydroponics grows as well! That is a bit outside my realm of knowledge but I would love to hear stories from you aqua-growers out there!

Don't be shy folks, step right up and tell us about your own experiences with DE or other methods you have to keep the bugs away!

Thank you for the read I hope everyone is having a great day! :peace:

Re: Open Forum:: Diatomaceous Earth:: Let's go!

It's used a lot in swimming pool filters, really big pools. real nasty stuff if you breathe and will cause cancer so wear a mask if you decide to use it.
I've used it several times in my "regular" garden but its not worth the effort. clumps up bad when wet and really makes the dirt crappy to work with, once again NOT WORTH THE EFFORT. Neem Oil will do the same as the DE and is a lot easier, cheaper, and safer to work with.

Do you think food grade DE would be the same as what's in the pool filter? I'm not honestly sure if so let me know.

I tried to google that info but I'm just not sure how to word it to get the info I'm looking for. Can anyone confirm or deny that they are the same or if there is other substances added to the bug pesticides and pool filters?

Much thanks!

one and the same, I used DE for over 5 years and had an unlimited supply but after using it a couple times it really didn't live up to my expectations on killing the bugs. if its humid out, rains,or you water the soil you have to reapply every time. all it really did was make my garden look like crap. Trust me, the neem oil works way better and is much safer.

Neem oil eh? I will have to look into that. Thanks for the info crawlhog happy growing to you!

Food-grade DE and pool filter DE aren't the same.

The DE we use on our plants is food-grade with usually around 1% or less of crystalline silica.

The DE used in pool filters is heated, treated with chemicals and usually has 40-60% crystalline silica. It starts out as the same DE, but the processing is what makes it potentially dangerous.

There is a FAQ sheet from Oregon's Department of Environmental Quality with more information if you're interested.

Good morning Dresney! I was up in the air to push the issue but with all the stuff I read I was a bit taken back when I was told it was one in the same. I'm giving your link a read now I'm interested to learn more :)

Awesome read thank you for sharing!

It's used a lot in swimming pool filters, really big pools. real nasty stuff if you breathe and will cause cancer so wear a mask if you decide to use it.
I've used it several times in my "regular" garden but its not worth the effort. clumps up bad when wet and really makes the dirt crappy to work with, once again NOT WORTH THE EFFORT. Neem Oil will do the same as the DE and is a lot easier, cheaper, and safer to work with.

The type of diatomaceous earth used in pool filters, and the like, is an industrial grade product that is different than "food grade" diatomaceous earth. Very important distinction. Food grade DE is completely harmless, free of any synthetic chemicals, and in fact, is not only harmless, it can be extremely beneficial to mammals when ingested in reasonable manner. It is used on farms in animal feed to inhibit mold growth AND as a form of internal parasite control.
I recently used it to treat my cats for tapeworms, with the idea of avoiding toxic anti-parasitic medications. You can mix it right in their food. After much research, I felt it was a good way to go, and my cats are healthy and happy. :)

Anyhow, for anyone reading this, DO NOT buy industrial grade DE unless you plan to filter a pool or the like. Always make sure you are purchasing FOOD GRADE DE.
I use Earth Works brand. They are known for being one of the purest DE products on the market. Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) At Wholesale Prices

Now, I just need to figure out how to use it successfully in the grow room for those goddamned mites...

Wow!
great info & well done!
had a HUGE issue with Fungus Knats.
I have been using DE on the net cups of my aeroponic rails system.
I took an old squirt bottle drilled a tiny hole in top & mix DE with H2o. then mist the stems & top of the Hydroton pellets.
cut the knat infestation down in days!
also have sprayed it on top soil in household potted plants. you need to work it down into the dirt an inch or so.

Thank you gang, I appreciate the info and kind words. I was just hoping to share the wealth :) G-daddy I personally have not but if I find anything out I will post it in here for you.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom