Oregon: Fundraiser In Front Of Medical Marijuana Shop Cut Short

Jacob Redmond

A fundraiser for the La Grande High School Band in front of Hwy 30 Cannabis, a medical marijuana dispensary, ended abruptly Thursday afternoon.

Members of the band and other supporters of it were selling boxes of chocolates on the sidewalk outside of Hwy 30 Cannabis, 1709 Adams Ave., when they suddenly left about 4 p.m. A member of the group told Rikki Abercrombie, sales manager for Hwy 30 Cannabis, that they were strongly encouraged to leave by adults who said they were promoting drug use by selling chocolates in front of the medical marijuana dispensary.

Abercrombie said the band students and supporters were more than welcome to stay in the eyes of the Hwy 30 Cannabis staff.

"We were happy to have them. We did not tell them to leave," Abercrombie said. "We want to do anything we can to support the schools."

Members of the band and recently graduated band alumni began selling chocolates in front of Hwy 30 Cannabis Wednesday afternoon after receiving permission from store personnel to conduct the fundraiser in front of the medical marijuana dispensary. The money they are raising will be used to fund band trips and to purchase equipment.

Chris Leavitt, an LHS music teacher and the band's director, said he did not learn of his students' sale in front of Highway 30 Cannabis until late Wednesday evening. Leavitt did not approve of the sale's location.

"I want students to be safe. My recommendation is that they sell (the chocolates) to friends and family," Leavitt said.

LHS Assistant Principal Scott Carpenter said the location of the sale was not appropriate for high school students.

"The school district discourages students from fundraising in front of establishments whose primary purpose is to promote or sell substances which are illegal for minors," Carpenter said.

One has to be at least 21 to legally purchase marijuana in Oregon.

Carpenter said the students who conducted the sale in front of Hwy 30 Cannabis had good intentions.

"We do not believe that the students wanted to get access to illegal substances or to try to put LHS in a negative light," Carpenter said.

LHS band members told The Observer on Wednesday that the Hwy 30 Cannabis site was good for the chocolate sale because it had lots of traffic and offered plenty of parking.

16297.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Fundraiser In Front Of Medical Marijuana Shop Cut Short
Author: Dick Mason
Photo Credit: Andy Dunn

Ok, I understand the school system not wanting kids to hold fundraisers in front of stores that sell booze and items that they themselves (students) are prohibited from purchasing or possessing but I think they had the right idea to sell chocolate in front of the dispensary. As a side note this story reminds me of an incident from the 70's involving fundraising for a good cause. It was during the Jerry Lewis Telethon, out side of the location where the local production of the telethon was going on someone left a bag containing $10,000 and a note that read: "Compliments of Gainesville Green." This really ticked off some cops as Gainesville Green was a variety of our lovely plant bred there and it was seriously good bud.

A fundraiser for the La Grande High School Band in front of Hwy 30 Cannabis, a medical marijuana dispensary, ended abruptly Thursday afternoon.

Members of the band and other supporters of it were selling boxes of chocolates on the sidewalk outside of Hwy 30 Cannabis, 1709 Adams Ave., when they suddenly left about 4 p.m. A member of the group told Rikki Abercrombie, sales manager for Hwy 30 Cannabis, that they were strongly encouraged to leave by adults who said they were promoting drug use by selling chocolates in front of the medical marijuana dispensary.

Abercrombie said the band students and supporters were more than welcome to stay in the eyes of the Hwy 30 Cannabis staff.

“We were happy to have them. We did not tell them to leave,” Abercrombie said. “We want to do anything we can to support the schools.”

Members of the band and recently graduated band alumni began selling chocolates in front of Hwy 30 Cannabis Wednesday afternoon after receiving permission from store personnel to conduct the fundraiser in front of the medical marijuana dispensary. The money they are raising will be used to fund band trips and to purchase equipment.

Chris Leavitt, an LHS music teacher and the band’s director, said he did not learn of his students’ sale in front of Highway 30 Cannabis until late Wednesday evening. Leavitt did not approve of the sale’s location.

“I want students to be safe. My recommendation is that they sell (the chocolates) to friends and family,” Leavitt said.

LHS Assistant Principal Scott Carpenter said the location of the sale was not appropriate for high school students.

“The school district discourages students from fundraising in front of establishments whose primary purpose is to promote or sell substances which are illegal for minors,” Carpenter said.

One has to be at least 21 to legally purchase marijuana in Oregon.

Carpenter said the students who conducted the sale in front of Hwy 30 Cannabis had good intentions.

“We do not believe that the students wanted to get access to illegal substances or to try to put LHS in a negative light,” Carpenter said.

LHS band members told The Observer on Wednesday that the Hwy 30 Cannabis site was good for the chocolate sale because it had lots of traffic and offered plenty of parking.

16297.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Fundraiser In Front Of Medical Marijuana Shop Cut Short
Author: Dick Mason
Photo Credit: Andy Dunn

Thank you for the feature! Rikki Abercrombie is my wife and we have been dealing with this type of stuff from the very start! We keep fighting though and, incrementally, we're winning! This was such a load of poo but also a small blessing in disguise. Once the town folk saw the story in the paper and on social media, the phones at city hall started ringing! Just another battle in this war on prohibition.

Thanks again for the support 420Mag. These are the things that keep me a proud member of the 420Fam!

Trig

Thank you for the feature! Rikki Abercrombie is my wife and we have been dealing with this type of stuff from the very start! We keep fighting though and, incrementally, we're winning! This was such a load of poo but also a small blessing in disguise. Once the town folk saw the story in the paper and on social media, the phones at city hall started ringing! Just another battle in this war on prohibition.

Thanks again for the support 420Mag. These are the things that keep me a proud member of the 420Fam!

Trig

Have they discovered which busybody adults (from what church or organization?) told the students to move?

Back
Top Bottom