Oregon: Marijuana Dispensary Supporters Speak Out Against County Ban

Jacob Redmond

When Melissa Ferroggiaro came to the lectern to tell the Klamath County commissioners her thoughts on the proposed ban of medical and recreational marijuana dispensaries, she didn't come empty handed.

"I brought you guys a gift," she said.

Then she walked up to commissioners Tom Mallams and Kelley Minty Morris and handed them topicals from Laughing Lotus Farms, the medical marijuana dispensary Melissa and her husband Ilo have been trying to open for more than a year.

Dispensary Bans

But commissioners have banned medical dispensaries in the county and are proposing doing the same for recreational dispensaries, as well as producing, processing and wholesaling marijuana.

The commissioners held the first of three meetings addressing the proposed ordinance on Tuesday. That's when the Ferroggiaros spoke.

"We do really care about these people in Klamath," Melissa said. "And we aren't crazy. We're really pissed off and think you guys are doing a horrible job at what you do."

"We're tired of dealing with you," Ilo said. "The people here have all voted for this measure, have all had their rights taken away by individuals like you."

Ilo spoke of Measure 91, which Oregon as a state passed last November, legalizing recreational marijuana use and sale. In Klamath County 56 percent of voters said no to Measure 91. According to Oregon legislation passed in the most recent session, counties like Klamath can opt out of allowing recreational sale, producing and processing. Use of marijuana remains legal.

It was under that legislation that the commissioners proposed their ordinance.

Hearing Testimony

Of the 12 people who spoke at Tuesday's hearing, eight were against the proposed ordinance, or pro marijuana dispensaries. Two spoke actively for the ban, and two people provided information to the commissioners (one a survey, another court documents).

Many of those against the ordinance said they opposed because it ignored the passage of Measure 91.

"That's not fair," said Ed Medina, the owner of A Better Way, a medical marijuana dispensary in Klamath Falls. "That is not the democratic process in action. If a ban is imposed it should be put on the ballot so we can have a say."

"The people of Klamath County have already voted," countered Carol Warren, who spoke in favor of the ordinance. "Fifty-six percent said no. That's good enough for me."

Economic Sense

"Perhaps it might be a good time to get some voter input," said Minty Morris said at the end of Tuesday's meeting. "For me, it's going to come down to what do I think is going to make the most sense economically and what do I think is fair."

Medina argued shutting down the marijuana dispensaries shuts a business out of Klamath County.

"If we ban an entire industry, a new industry that provides jobs for uncounted people you haven't imagined – plumbers, electricians, accountants – everybody this industry could employ, we're throwing that out the window," he said. "Not to mention the tax dollars."

Commission chairman Tom Mallams didn't give his direct opinion, but said the ordinance opting out of marijuana dispensaries may not be set in stone.

"The idea of opting out is not a permanent thing," he said. "If you opt in you're pretty well stuck."

The commissioners did not make any decisions Tuesday. They are holding a town hall at 6 p.m. on Sept. 15 and a second hearing at 9:15 a.m. on Sept. 22. Both meetings are in the commissioners' hearing room at the Klamath County Government Center, 305 Main St.

15976.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana Dispensary Supporters Speak Out
Author: Samantha Tipler
Photo Credit: The Herald and News

Back
Top Bottom