Oregon: Parents With Kids Using Medical Marijuana Often Only Line Of Defense

Jacob Redmond

Parents of kids with medical marijuana cards told KATU News they're often the only line of defense when it comes to keeping weed away from other children.

More than 250 Oregon children have medical marijuana cards, including 7-year-old Bennett. His mom uses droplets of marijuana in his juice or milk to help with his autism. She admits keeping those contaminated drinks out of the hands of other kids, especially Bennett's little brother, is tough.

"Keeping the other children away from that, so you have to be very responsible as a parent when those things are around," she said.

Parents of kids using medical marijuana have to sign a sheet promising not to let the weed get into other kids' hands.

After that, the satate waives all responsibility for what happens to the pot they dispense.

Steve Wagner with the Oregon Health Authority says minors can't get into dispensaries themselves to buy pot; the only people who can get it for them are their parents or licensed caregivers.

Kiley, 17, often smokes marijuana or uses edibles to treat a medical condition that often made her nauseus.

"I just felt like a little sick child ... and now thtat's not something people focus on anymore," Kiley said. "I'm still smart, I get all my stuff done. I'm a good kid and I smoke weed."

Teen cardholders are allowed to have pot products that aren't as easy for parents to spot.

"Sometimes I eat edibles, like if I'm out places and I can't smoke, edibles help me a lot," Kiley said.

Discrete consumption like that can make spotting pot tough, but it's also what many Oregon kids and parents are counting on to make their lives a little easier.

15603.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Parents with kids using medical marijuana often only line of defense
Author: Reed Andrews
Photo Credit: The Associated Press

Back
Top Bottom