PA: Ford City Businessman Finalizing Medical Marijuana Plan

Katelyn Baker

Less than a decade following the closure of Eljer Plumbing, a new business might breathe new life into Ford City.

Officially becoming law in May, State legislation approved the legal manufacturing of medical marijuana — and Ford City Borough may be Armstrong County's home to the potentially-life saving drug.

David Knepshield — who is known as Klingensmith Healthcare CEO — and a team of investors hope to be one of 50 groups across the state that receives a distribution license to produce the plant on the former Eljer Plumbingware site.

"Marijuana will be in no bud form, no smoking. Everything will be lab-tested (with) very, very low THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) levels...but it will have a high CBD (cannabidiol) — things that relieve pain, seizures. There are about 21 serious medical conditions that the State of Pennsylvania has allowed it for," Knepshield said.

Knepshield -who vehemently emphasized this plan is not affiliated with Klingensmith Healthcare nor Allegheny Health Network — estimated the revamped building could employ as many as 50 people, such as chemists, botanists and horticulturists.

"It's a very, very sophisticated industry right now, and it's growing leaps and bounds," Knepshield said.

However, before the group can commit potentially a total of $4-5 million for permits, to prove available assets and other financial requirements, Knepshield asked for some clarification on the 28-acre site itself.

"We've looked at the zoning, and it's zoned 'industrial.' I've got bids on closing it up, securing it. The State of Pennsylvania will have the highest amount of regulation of any state in the country when it comes to this," Knepshield said. "I don't know if (the land being zoned 'industrial) is something this plays into because if we get a permit, we will be a manufacturer of pharmaceutical-grade medicine.

"I think industrial might suffice, but I'm not sure. I just need a clarification."

Council Vice-President Tyson Klukan described himself as "pro-medical marijuana" based on reading the ways the drug has helped people through medical hardships, such as cancer or mental issues, and said the new industry could also revitalize Ford City.

"I'm a proponent of it because a) its economic development to the region because more people in the county need jobs. It may not be hundreds of jobs, but jobs are jobs."

A meeting is to be held between at least Klukan and Council President Carol Fenyes and Knepshield and his investors to form a master plan.

Councilman Marc Mantini also approved based on Knepshield's long "respected" track record.

"We should do what we can to facilitate whatever he's doing," Mantini said.

Fenyes also brainstormed planning a special community meeting before applications are released by the Department of Health. So far, Knepshield said he has not heard any negative reactions.

More than two dozen states — and more than half the country — approved medical marijuana legislation.

Council members also unanimously agreed they will be able to vote on pending business during their meetings that occur the fourth Monday of each month until the end of 2016.

Fenyes said this action was considered to allow for any financial approvals before the water treatment plant begins construction at the beginning of August.

david1.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Ford City Businessman Finalizing Medical Marijuana Plan
Author: Jonathan Weaver
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom