Ph help!

hey guys,

i got two clones, they're in a box with fans and a few cfls. they definately are getting some ph burn! i know my ph was too high, its around 7 or so but i dont have anything to bring it down, im going to get ph down from the hydro store in a few days but what would you guys recommend in the meantime??

thanks

Hi and ouch on the ph.
I grow in soil and clone in coco coir and use plain white vinegar to lower the ph; one tablespoon per gallon of water, should do it but if needed i do it again after few days. Happy grow

Concentrated lemon juice, or mollassas, 7 for your PH isn,t terrible, but it is your max. Make sure you have a good PH meter, you need to know what it really is- not around.

Concentrated lemon juice, or mollassas, 7 for your PH isn,t terrible, but it is your max. Make sure you have a good PH meter, you need to know what it really is- not around.

yes and no, ph is a funny thing, and there are people that can do successfull hydro grows with no meter, once you get the hang of it.

if you constantly try to adjust the ph, you are going to do more harm than good.

AN reccomends 5.6ph on hydro nutes, i knock it down to around 5.2 and let it slowly climb on its own, all the way to 6.2 (about a week to do that)

normally... i have to add nutes in this time, and when i do, it drops my ph back down, and i normally have to really adjust PH once every couple weeks... and if i was one of those people who dump the res every week.. well... i never would.

i know of at least one person who uses ph strips for hydro, so he is basicly ball parking it, and is getting great results.

the reason i let it wander so much, is nutes are available in higher concentrations at different ph's... and while 5.6 SHOULD hit all of them, it doesnt hit all of them 100% perfect.

when the ph is low (but still in the safe range of 5.2-6.2) it stocks up on calcium, manganese and iron, and while it slowly drifts up, it grabs higher doses of magnesium and phosphorus. letting it wander slowly gives the plant the opertunity to eat a little more of the things it might be lacking.

however when you bounce the PH around rapidly, such as , trying to up an ddown the ph so its perfect all the time, all its really doing is stressing the plants out...

if you were trying to have a nice meal, and enjoy everything, would you rather be given some time to eat different things, or have them given to you, and snatched away, then given back, and snatched away before you get to fully enjoy them?

so while yes, PH is important, im not saying its not by any means, screw up your ph and things start to die. BUT, its not something that you should react too quickly on. give it time, and take PH readings 30 min after adding stuff to your mix to allow for the potential chemical reactions to complete.

of course, thats just my opinion, thats worked for me :)

Back
Top Bottom