PH lock out instead of Flush?

warlord98

Just wondering about using a lock out to make a plant use up all of its nutes in stead of trying to flush the medium at the end of your flowering period. Does that make any sense? When its time to flush we leach the medium over a couple of weeks so the plant has nothing of nutritional value left in the solution and has to use any left in itself.If you get a lock out because of ph it causes the same actions in the plant. It has to use up available stored nutrients from itself .With lockout it cannot uptake the nutes needed. Right? Or am I way off base here. I know everyone is going to talk about ridding the plant of the fertilizer but whats in the plant can never be flushed out and with a nute lockout its not up-taking any.Wheres the problem?:thumb:

Hey warlord,

I don't have the knowledge to answer that in an informed way. But a good question.

I would worry about what other problems having a high or low pH would do to the plant, other than nutrient lock out. Perhaps the thought of dying gracefully is the term I'm thinking of.

The last few weeks, I'm inside my closet twice, maybe three times a daily. The rest of the time, I'm only no there every other day or so. Because of this, I end up changing the res water every four days or so. Nice clean, pH water for the ladies.

Would good to hear from some of the more knowledgeable growers here.

Prairie

I thought the idea behind the flush was to reduce salt build up in the cells... wouldn't PH lockout only stop some salts from being pulled in, not all?

Too high a PH locks out P, Cal, and Mg, but others are still active. While iron and other trace minerals are active at low PH.

PH_CHART4.jpg

Ph affect the plant in more ways than just nute uptake. The salts everyone refers to is the stored nutrients in a plant. I`m pretty sure it will affect overall plant life in a negative way. Total nutrient lockout will make the plants resort to using the nutrients they have stored just like in a flush period. I think the stress of the Ph would overcome any positive effects that has on a plant. I`ve been proved wrong before so maybe someone should test this theory. I would be most interested in watching the plants durring the experiment.
Salts = Nutrients
People just use different termanology and it is often hard to follow.

Back
Top Bottom