Picked up some soil today. Question on containers

TinyDancer

So I went to warner's today and picked up some black and gold potting soil for seedlings. I am going to use 25% perlite with it.. Will this be enough for starting out? I also picked up a Ph kit so i can test the soil. I have a question on containers though. What should i use to start my seedling? I plan on transplanting to 3 gal. buckets eventually with foxfarm ocean and 25% perlite. What do I start the seedlings out in though? Thanks for any input, also if you have any additional information or help I would love to hear it!

Hey there,

4 inch square planters are great. They allow you to see the roots of the seedlings in them by gently squeezing the container, and looking down inside at the roots. This allows you to determine when the roots are fully formed, and the plants are ready to transplant. The 4 inch transplants very nicely into a 3 gallon like you mentioned you'll be using.

Good call on the black gold and perlite. It's great for starting plants. The ocean forest is "hot" meaning it contains a ton of organic nutes in it already, and that can be hard on young plants, especially clones. Transplanting your seedlings into the ocean forest is excellent. It will deliver nitrogen rish deliciousness to the fresh transplants to give them a good start.

Note: Try to avoid transplanting right when you place the plants into flower. Transplant at least 3 days prior to placing them into flower to allow them to recover from the stress of being transplanted. Once in the 3 gallons, leave them in there til harvest. Don't transplant in flower. It will stunt the bud production, and cause unneeeded stress

Awesome! thanks for all the info and clearing that up for me! I was going to transplant after 2 weeks or so and then like you said give it a few more days/week depending on recovery before i start to flower. I'll have them under a 400w mh then switch over to the hps for flowering. Now I just need to get my seeds germinated!

Back
Top Bottom