Planning Council, Public Debate Medical Marijuana Shops

Jacob Bell

Carmichael, CA--A discussion on medical marijuana dispensaries in the Carmichael area turned into a question-and-answer session among audience members Wednesday at a meeting of the Carmichael/Old Foothill Farms Community Planning Advisory Council.

What was slated to be a chance for comments from both council members and residents with no vote turned into inquisitive residents asking questions to dispensary representatives at the Carmichael Library.

The council first heard from principal planner Tricia Stevens about an interim urgency ordinance of the Sacramento County Zoning Code relating to the cultivation and dispensing of medical marijuana.

The medical pot shops in Carmichael and around Sacramento County are in danger of closing down depending on county officials. There are about 40 dispensaries in the unincorporated areas of the county and eight in the Carmichael-Old Foothill Farms area, Stevens said.

The county is seeking a permanent ordinance that would address outdoor cultivation, among other specifics, she said. Locally, cities including Elk Grove and Roseville have banned dispensaries while they are allowed with a permit in Sacramento and the Bay Area.

"My issue would be concentration," said council member Bradley DeLuchi. "It would be good if Fair Oaks Boulevard didn't become full with (dispensaries)."

Some area esidents expressed concern with large outdoor growths but generally said they approve of the dispensaries themselves, a literal interpretation of "not in my backyard."

Fair Oaks resident Tim Johns said he has noticed a neighbor growing marijuana plants from his backyard.

"The smell of it- you can't believe," Johns said. "I voted for the medical marijuana law but it seems like a back door for recreational use."

Dispensary officials attended the meeting and were met with questions from residents.

"It definitely needs to be regulated but banning it altogether will create a black market," said Johnny Zonneveld, the director for Sunnyfields Inc. (7028 Fair Oaks Blvd.) and a combat veteran who said he uses cannabis to alieviate post-traumatic stress disorder and depression.

Eddie Dennis, director of All Natural Solutions (4731 El Camino Ave.), said you must be 18 years or older to enter a dispensary and have a doctor's recommendation and a California ID.

"We provide safe access to medical cannabis," Dennis said. "We are helping people."

Resident Danielle Dean said an ordinance is not the way to go.

"I am against big (marijuana) growths," Dean said. "Rushing into this will be dangerous for the elderly and disabled (who use medical marijuana)."

Council members expressed some reservation regarding the dispensaries.

"I am appalled that in Carmichael and Fair Oaks we have areas where marijuana is being grown," said council member Michael Favero. "I have no hesitation or problem in saying outdoor cultivation should not be allowed in residential areas."

Council member Christopher Wilson said dispensaries are a necessary benefit to the community.

Both DeLuchi and council chairman James Rae said legalizing marijuana could settle the issue once and for all.

"The solution would be to make marijuana legal and have it dispensed by pharmacies," Rae said.

abb35.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: carmichael.patch.com
Author: Victor Calderon
Copyright: Patch
Website: Planning Council, Public Debate Medical Marijuana Shops

:nicethread::nicethread: I think that when it all calms down cooler more sane heads will prevail. First thing is that they have to get rid of that Michael Favero once done it'l fall into place. RD

Back
Top Bottom