Plant from a hermie seed completely different than plant it came from

jokerlola

Last fall during the dry trimming of the Harlequin plant I grew which is a 2 to 1 CBD to THC Sativa, I found 4 seeds in the trim. I popped a couple of these seeds this year and got one to grow and planted it into the ground and the plant looks and smells completely different than the plant it came from. Is this common?I have no experience with seeds until this summer. The first picture is the Harlequin plant from around the same date last year and the second picture is the current Harelquin plant from seed this year:

47DA7398-D86D-4A95-A9A5-4FEBBD02AF56.jpeg

33EFC400-0697-4EB1-A0DD-E060B427533A.jpeg

I wouldn't expect that to be a common occurrence, no. If you cross two F₁s of the same strain, you'd expect to end up with something different than you started with, but with a selfing, it ought to be nearer to being a copy. Er... I think.

Any chance the mother plant was pollinated by another plant that was in your garden (or that was in someone else's garden, relatively close (within ¼-mile or so)?

I wouldn't expect that to be a common occurrence, no. If you cross two F₁s of the same strain, you'd expect to end up with something different than you started with, but with a selfing, it ought to be nearer to being a copy. Er... I think.

Any chance the mother plant was pollinated by another plant that was in your garden (or that was in someone else's garden, relatively close (within ¼-mile or so)?
No chance from my garden but always possible from somewhere else since I grow outside. But could pollen from another plant wind up producing only 4 seeds on only one plant and not affect the other plants I was growing? I does seem like a completely different strain and it doesn't seem like the other strains I grew last year either.

But could pollen from another plant wind up producing only 4 seeds on only one plant and not affect the other plants I was growing?.

Be more likely with pollen from a random plant in the neighborhood than if it was pollen from right there, I'd think. One male flower releases thousands of grains of pollen. If you could have that flower in your hand when it opened, your hand would be covered with pollen. A few feet away, there'd be a lot less on it. 100' away, there might only be a few gains, or maybe even none at all, depending on how the wind was blowing.

Or it could have produced a single male (staminate) flower that you didn't notice, and the bud that flower was in happened to be dense enough that it only got to a few of the closest female flowers. Who knows, lol? A mystery.

With luck, you're growing something that you'll enjoy the harvest from.

Back
Top Bottom