Seedlings, different strains, planted at the same time growing at different rates?

jokerlola

I planted seeds of different strains at the same time and one is growing much slower than the other. They are in different pots right now. They are in the same starter soil and getting the same nutrients. I’m about to transplant them into 5 gal Smart Pots. The small one seems to be stunted. It had been chewed on by a single Thrip that I got rid of. Any other possible reasons for the size difference or lack of growth from the smaller plant? Could it just be the strains? The small one is a Harlequin and the larger is Monkey Berries. The Monkey Berries is a regular seed so don’t know yet if it’s a male or female. The Harlequin is from one of 2 seeds I found when harvesting the Harlequin clone I grew last year so I think it has a greater chance of being a female.

330A901F-F704-4C39-A053-F0612256AC51.jpeg

BCC91712-D768-4D12-8C5A-00F1B1B4EF39.jpeg

Genetics play a big roll a long with conditions. I have a a lot of the same strain that do this. Some just have better conditions and genetics.

I've wondered if it was just the pot size or if it's the different strains or the small one had just become stunted because it hasn't grown hardly at all. They both sprouted around the end of June so they are both about 4 weeks old. They both started out in solo cups and I had another Monkey Berries started in another solo cup as well but it damped off and I worried that the other one would damp off as well because of me possibly giving it too much water plus it had stretched a lot so I transplanted in into the terracotta pot. I have been watering them both the same, waiting till they dry out before watering again but the Monkey Berries in the clay pot dries out so much quicker than the solo cup does. I now have them both in the 5 gal smart pots so we shall see how they both continue to grow in their final pots.

This could happen even if they were all same strain but so many potential factors in photo line up. Ideally they would all have exact same pot size; there is a solo cup sitting in terra cotta furnace, a giant thick pot that retains more heat where seedling is low ryder in a bowl with poor airflow since it needs two inches of additional soil and the perhaps mid size pot has the right amount of soil and airflow.

What about size and number of drain holes? The genetic vigor of disparate strains? Watering habits and ability to drain? They may have same soil mix but their environmental conditions are not equal

my porridge is too hot, my porridge is too cool - plants want their porridge just right, seems the middle chick likes her gear,

could be wrong - just a thought

Not saying pot size is not a factor here, could be... Here are two of the same strains that were sprouted same day (5/28) in solo cup, Broke ground same day (5/29) Transplanted same day (6/27)

Kush-0001.jpg

This could happen even if they were all same strain but so many potential factors in photo line up. Ideally they would all have exact same pot size; there is a solo cup sitting in terra cotta furnace, a giant thick pot that retains more heat where seedling is low ryder in a bowl with poor airflow since it needs two inches of additional soil and the perhaps mid size pot has the right amount of soil and airflow.

What about size and number of drain holes? The genetic vigor of disparate strains? Watering habits and ability to drain? They may have same soil mix but their environmental conditions are not equal

my porridge is too hot, my porridge is too cool - plants want their porridge just right, seems the middle chick likes her gear,

could be wrong - just a thought
I guess I should have taken the pictures of them in a different spot. The big clay pot in the back has no cannabis in it, just some sprouting herbs and the solo cup is normally not inside that clay pot. We were having some wind that night so I stuck it in there to keep it from being blown over. I have been giving them both morning sun and afternoon sun but have kept them both in the shade from 11am to 3pm.

Back
Top Bottom