Please explain how I would get seeds from a female plant

Reetafour

I keep hearing that we kill the males before they screw up our crop and diminish the quality of the harvest, makes me think you want to avoid males unless you're looking for seeds. yet most dope you buy has seeds? What's up with that? Aside from me buying from the wrong guy of course :hmmmm:
I've looked everywhere on this site but this info is too basic I suspect.

i for one(and i know others that do too) will keep my males( IF it is a good strain ) so i can either pollinate a female and collect seeds of that strain or collect pollen, albeit more tedious.. i just separate the male and let it grow as it normally would until the flowers open and i can put it outside with a female and let nature and her little workers do their thing :cheesygrinsmiley:

buying seeds from a reputable source kinda guarantees strain genetics, you can buy feminized seeds(which is what most go for) which guarantees female plants.. and allows ppl to purchase exotic seeds that arent available in their particular area... you can buy pretty much ANY strain that exists... and THAT IS THE REASON ppl buy seeds. ++ there are some added advantages like getting free seed samples of different flavours etc etc..

at the end of the day, it's all good in under the hood! as long as we are keeping it green :cheesygrinsmiley:

Peace

i have to add, there are alot of stress factors that can turn a female hermaphrodite etc.. too hot, too cold... too humid... not enough humidity etc.. even tho you can buy fem seeds doesnt necessarily mean it will stay female!! and less reputable sources of seeds SAY they are fem when in actual fact they are just scams ripping you off with standard seeds

chur chur

Well I have harvested the girls, and one of them took a little longer than the other, but right near the end she started producing seeds. In Rosenthal's book he mentions that it is normal for that to happen, it means she's ready. My question now is whether these are female seeds or male?

Well I have harvested the girls, and one of them took a little longer than the other, but right near the end she started producing seeds. In Rosenthal's book he mentions that it is normal for that to happen, it means she's ready. My question now is whether these are female seeds or male?

A female that is a hermie, its male sex has only female genetics so therefore your seeds will be female. This is the trick to 'feminised seeds', by stressing the female or leaving it longer than its harvest as it has been trying since it began budding to be fertilised by male pollen and this is its 'last ditch' survival tool, perpetuating its species. I have read and am about to try using 'silver collidial' which you can make yourself or buy from a health food store (I found a nasal spray which is the cheapest and all ready to go for $16 AUS). You locate a particular bud (going to try a small one first and if successful will not touch the big ones!), spray for 2 weeks every day (I believe only once is enough but i will be checking that) and it is supposed to develop male sex. I also read you can fertilise the same bud with the pollen and only that bud will seed (as long as you dont do it while your fan is running!). Seems hugely convenient that you can also store the male pollen by drying it out. You can cross-breed without ever having to worry about wasting space with males.

I have also read that you shouldn't keep cloning or seeding with females alone as the genetic material degrades. I dont agree with that, I know there is a type of tea tree in an area that has been cloning itself in Australia for more than 1200 years. The original tree is no longer alive and hasnt been for hundreds, maybe a thousand years but there is now a whole bunch of them with exactly the same genetics. I think its just simply people get too used to one strain and thats why they think its 'degraded genetically'. If someone can correct me, please do!

Back
Top Bottom