Pot Law Needs Weeding

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Re: "Pot law takes aim at growers," the News, Nov. 30.

I think John Cummins is sorely mistaken if he believes there is a lot of public support for the Conservatives' recent initiatives regarding minimum sentencing, particularly where pot is concerned.

It stands to reason that if the profit is so high to not only outweigh the risk of growing pot, but also the risk of serious weapons offences, it is because a lot of people are smoking it. It also seems to me that these profits would be better served in the public funds than in the pockets of global organized crime groups.

I would guess that most of the casual pot smokers in this province or country would rather not be supporting organized crime but don't want to face the risk of growing it themselves -- probably because a lot of them are law abiding, job holding, productive members of society.

I think it's a huge waste of time, money and other resources to fight pot, of all things, and the more I learn maybe even other drugs too.

If this government actually expects the public to believe they want to crack down on drugs, especially speed, ecstasy and other hard drugs, the first thing they need to do in reinstate the port police since that's where most of the truly dangerous drugs are coming in from.

Any suggestion, other than stopping the flow at it's source, is scarcely more than an attempt to distract from the real problem, and the only potential solution.

The stiffer the penalties are, the bigger the pay-off will be, and the more risks people will be willing to take to grow and import drugs.

KE Byrnes, Vancouver, BC URL:

Source: Richmond News (CN BC)
Copyright: 2007 Lower Mainland Publishing Group Inc.

Back
Top Bottom