Potassium vs. Mg Def How do you Tell?

Grooven420

Hey Folks,
I was curious if anyone had a reliable way to be able to discern the difference between a Mg def and a Potassium Def. In the Plant Abuse Solver/Pictorial and other Def Problem Solvers it shows that both Mg
and Potassium def's can result in twisted leaves. I am getting a few plants that look pretty darn healthy in the 12/12 cycle other than they are starting to get a few twisted/curled fan leaves at the tips almost like a spiral or for anyone that has skateboarded somewhat like a McTwist ;-)

I have added Epsom salts to my H2O/nutes a couple of times
and don't want to add any more if this is not the problem. I would have thought giving them 2 doses of Epsom salts @ Tblspn/gal
strength would have solved it if it was Mg but maybe not? I have also given them some Earthjuice MicroBlast once thinking that might help if it was a Microdef.

I will post some PICs later...

Thanks!!
Grooven420

More times than not twisting is a pH problem. Are you monitoring and adjusting?

I would suspect mg before potash especially if using RO water.

Hydro or soil?

What nutes are you feeding regularly and how much?

Too much MG and you will lock out phosph and you will get dark green brittle leaves that die off. SO dont go crazy with epsom..

Hey McBudz,
Growing in a mixture of Sunshine #4(35%), COCO(35%), Silica Rock(25%), and worm castings(5%) and a couple of cups of Pulv Dolomite Lime per 20Gal mix. The silica rock is for better drainage. I had used 100% S4 but had all kinds of PH problems with
it later in the 12/12 cycle so switched to this mix from a recommendation from a trusted grower.
I also switched from FFarm nutes to Botanicare Pro Grow & Bloom mixes which seem to be working great and also add in a splash of Bio-Genesis->Synergy plant growth.

I have been monitoring VERY CLOSELY the PH level of the H20+Nutes I am feeding them and basing it around 6.8 which is on
the high side BUT I have had consistent problems with the PH getting
too low so I thought I would try and help counteract it with PH'ing the H20+Nutes on the high side of 'normal' levels.

I am growing Blueberry(more Indica) and Durbin(Indica/Sativa). It is ONLY the Durbin which seems to be getting affected?

I did just check the runoff of those 2 plants and interesting enough it was slightly high, 6.9 on 1 and 7.2 on the other. The one which is measuring 7.2 is the one that it is most noticable. I can see the infamous yellowing between the veins on the fan leaves also.

So I am assuming this means it is time to flush with 6.6/6.7 H20, correct?

I am stunned that the PH is high on these 2 but I did add some Pulv Dolomite lime 3-4weeks ago while they were in Veg. I did not notice any rise in PH until now, as they were around 6.0 3-4 weeks ago?

If it ain't one thing its another...I'll get this dialed in eventually...

Thanks!!
Grooven420

pH meter is good, your pH is too high, Mcbudz is right ^. Invest in a ph up/down kit if you want a decent yield my friend.

Back
Top Bottom