Pruning for quality versus quantity?

Simon Limon

I have 6 Critical Mass clones, 5 in 20 gallon fabric pots and one outside in soil plus 2 Dutch Hawaiian clones, one in a pot and one in soil. The potted plants are in a greenhouse but I keep both ends wide open so it is essentially a grow tunnel.

I'm entirely new to cannabis growing and learning by trial and error. I've pinched, FIMed, bent, and LST'ed, all of which is interesting and a lot of fun, but as the plants are now reaching a good size I realize that I'd rather have quality over quantity. In fact, when I compare our current use of CBD oil to the potential harvest it looks like we'll have far more than we can possibly use.

Based our current use of both commercial and homemade CBD oil, I doubt we need more than half a pound of dry buds for a year's supply.

The photo below shows a typical Critical Mass, which I've pinned down in an attempt to keep it short. These plants have reached the point, however, where there are many smaller side shoots under the larger shoots and foliage. Will these be worth keeping or should I remove them?

Even if the final weight is smaller, I assume it would be easier to harvest and trim the final crop if I have fewer large buds rather than a lot of smaller ones.

So... I'd appreciate your thoughts on this and suggestions for pruning.

With LST and opening canopy in general you should trim the bottom and only trim upwards if light doesn’t penetrate enough, so I’d rather leave secondary growth.

Back
Top Bottom