Push For Decriminalizing Marijuana In South Dakota Continues

Jacob Redmond

The signature campaign started earlier this month, and a push to decriminalize the possession of less than an ounce of marijuana is gaining traction.
"My phone has not stopped ringing. Our Facebook page just keeps growing by the week," Ryan Gaddy said.

Gaddy says an increasing number of people are also using his website to register to vote. While the word is spreading, the signatures are not. Right now, Gaddy has 500 signatures from Minnehaha County, and needs to raise money to travel across the state.

"We need to explain the points of our bill and not let the anti-campaign speak for what we're speaking for. Absolutely, there's facts behind this bill," Gaddy said.

Those facts are just part of the reason people like Reina Parker are joining in the campaign. She's also pushing for a measure that would make medical marijuana legal in South Dakota. A hypermobility disorder has her looking for different ways to manage her pain.

"An investment in this would allow me to have access to a way to relieve my pain and inflammation and allow me to walk better and possibly get off disability and go back to work," Parker said.

Parker says it's exciting to see more people sign on to help put either of these measures on a ballot in 2016.

"Absolutely. The biggest payoff in life is to watch things happen right in front of you, to make history and watch the progress and be part of it," Parker said.

Gaddy says upcoming fairs and next week's Sturgis rally will be prime spots to collect more signatures.

"It's going to be a mixed crowd, absolutely. There's going to be our supporters that will be freely speaking and there's others that will want to steer clear of us," Gaddy said.

Decriminalizing would not make marijuana legal. It would make possession of less than an ounce of marijuana a $100 fine.
The group has until November 9th to collect 13,781 signatures and turn the petitions in for approval.

15458.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: KELOLAND.com | Push For Decriminalizing Marijuana In SD Continues
Author: Jared Ransom
Photo Credit: Elaine Thompson/Associated Press
Website: KELOLAND.com | Sioux Falls News & Weather, South Dakota News & Weather, Minnesota and Iowa News

Back
Top Bottom