Radogast's Non-420 Garden Creation Thread

The frost has finished off our birdseed sunflower patch

20161121_081533-1.jpg

20161121_081456-1.jpg

Yesterday and today I removed a bat from the future exercise room in the basement. I was emptying the room and cleaning up before I started installing a 1/4" OSB ceiling, light fixtures, switch and outlets. I swept about 2 gallons of mortar and brick dust off the walls and top of the stone foundation. In the process, I discovered a sleeping bat. I relocated it outside onto the back yard fence. I wonder if I could find a heated bat house so it can enjoy the outside :)

Basement Bat

20161121_170948-2.jpg

20161121_170954-1.jpg

Basement Bat Butt

20161121_171109-1.jpg

Surprised the bat let you pick it up w/o it freaking out. Shows you how little I know about bats.

Surprised me too :)

It may have been trying to hibernate indoors. The first afternoon, I thought it might be dead and rolled it gently into a ziploc sandwich bag. When it opened it's mouth in a soundless scream (soundless to my ears) I decided it was alive and did not seal the baggie.

Today, I assumed the bat would be very groggy and picked it up with a paper towel and work gloves. It dug it's wing hooks in a little bit, but I believe I transported it without damage (except for the risks of hypothermia and animal attack.)

I didn't take a picture today. The bat was sleeping about 8 feet from the previous location and looked identical to me.

Cute little one. They freak me right out, but they 'look' cute enough when handled by others. How do you think he found his way in?

The house is 120 years old with plaster and lath with 2 inch air channels in the middle of every wall - so I imagine a bat could get in any number of ways. The simplest way would be through the cracks around the frames of the bulkhead interior and exterior doors. They like to sleep in cracks about 1/2 wide so any old crack will do.

I'll be digging up various animal skeletons in the yard next year, so I'll know more about how small a bat can squeeze after that :)

Winter Solstice Pinata

Last night the family decided to do a winter solstice celebration - out with the old year. Goodbye and good riddance to the sources of bullshit in the past year.

We started out with a Bull pinata from the Mexican grocery filled with candies from the Asian grocery across the street.

Here the bull is introduced to a hawthorn cane which was eventually broken over the bull.

20161221_173504-1-1.jpg

The angry, drunken mob lined up with weapons such as a vintage police night stick and the arm of a mannequin.

20161221_173414-1.jpg

A metal ruler on the knuckles, a skull shaped spatula on the butt, a guantlet glove across the nose, a broom handle all over

20161221_173903-1.jpg

One of the most satisfying weapons of destruction was the wooden bung hammer. Shouts like "Woohoo!" drowned out the Mariachi music.

20161221_174107-1.jpg

After gleeful torture, the mob called upon Thor to guide the hammer of destruction.

20161221_174454-1.jpg

After a quick coup de grace by sword, the candy was gathered.

20161221_174541-1.jpg

The hope for a new year was followed by each of us planting a solstice seed in prepared soil.
Details here ==> Radogast's Hi-Brix Basement Grow - New Location - New Soil - New Experiences

Added a fountain in the front yard

Today I was outside admiring the crocus. My wife spotted a small dragonfly near the crocus. (not pictured, I didn't even see it ! )

20170320_124908-1.jpg

I noticed the crocus were planted in a ring. (I did that last fall, but who remembers such things.)

20170320_124855-1-1.jpg

As my dwarf buddy Kili said "If there is a key, there must be a door!" I say, if there is a circle there must be something to put in it :)

This winter, we picked up a little fountain at auction for $5. I ran a wire through all the tubing to clean out the debris and picked out the large leaves. This late model fountain came with a ring of 8 gold colored LEDs around the bubbling 'flame'. At least 3 of them work sometimes. The pump was good :)

The label on the transformer said the transformer should be shielded from direct outdoor exposure, and the primary power cord showed some cracking, so I stuffed the cord and transformer into a lantern house decorated with dragonflies. I'll install permanent outdoor electricals once we have a more total concept of the front yard.

20170320_171342-1.jpg

The fountain is a few steps away from our main walkway, the driveway, a walk connecting the main walk and driveway, and at shoulder level to those using the sidewalk to pass in front of the house.

The view from the junction of sidewalk and driveway. With the little planters and dragonfly lantern house($10 at auction,) we now have depth and items of interest. It's early to put in plants, but not too early to plant decorations :)

20170320_171426-1.jpg

Combined with a walk though the neighborhood with my wife admiring the houses, and planting two seeds, this was a great way to celebrate the first day of spring.

I am a combination of chafing at the bit and totally unprepared for spring flowers and veggies.

I have a plan for planting perennial vines, patially planted back yard garden beds, paths, half a plan for a pergola, and some earth sculpting planned alongside the north lot line for drainage and water retention.

It's just approaching time to start vegetables indoors - still 50 days until Mother's Day / last frost day.

However...

My winter indoor starts yielded 3x4" puffballs of chamomile, a 6" fancy mint, a 2" German Winter Thyme, an unidentified vine cutting, and an Aloe Vera rescue. They need to stay indoors for another month. That list and nine 420 plants pretty much fills my veg table - so I may forgo indoor vegetable starts and only clone a few perennials as the growing season goes along.

It is looking like I may just do vegetables and annual flowers as direct outdoor seeds and garden center transplants. For all my dreams, I know pretty much nothing about practical gardening in a place with 4 seasons!

Assembling the garden is it's own reward. Being successful at it can wait :)

The bees were in the crocus this morning

20170324_105507-1.jpg

Our first daffodil bloomed today while we were away at the garden show.

20170324_174538-1.jpg

Afterwards, I put up a low sectional fence in the front yard (the south west corner around the fountain.) Used up all 13 sections :)

20170324_174657.jpg

A city worker at the garden show said he would be glad to visit the house and discuss my plans for a rain garden. If approved, they will pay me to landscape my own yard. :)

I know pretty much nothing about practical gardening in a place with 4 seasons!

It's almost impossible, Rad. Fours years now here on the mountain, and this last winter was deep, long and terrible. Plants such as Moses in the Cradle and a host of herbaceous shrubs, which survived 5-6 feet of snow in previous years, were destroyed by the unusually sustained below freezing temperatures this year.

Just have to look on it as a planting opportunity. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Ah well, back to work. Much love to you and yours, old friend. :circle-of-love:

Nice of you to post Teddy's papa.

I looked up last January in Greece and Central/Eastern europe. I had no idea temps were 20F below normal for so long. Here, we were cruising along with a snow free january 20F above normal and feeling good. By early February it was feeling like March.

Yesterday, I set up the back yard fountain. No use waiting for a sunny day, it's been 5 days of gray and they are predicting 5 more.

20170327_122425-1.jpg

While I was out there, I noticed buds forming on the 3 hazelnuts I planted last fall

20170327_122528-1.jpg

Today, 2 of 3 hazelnuts are still tight buds. One of them is opening up !

20170327_122611-1.jpg

In the front yard, the first daffodil fell over. I brought it inside and more daffodil opened up nearby.

20170327_122758-1.jpg

The crocus are questioning, but their blooms are still hanging in there.

20170327_122814-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom