Reflector choice

PicApartPixls

Hello there,

I'm going to be buying a single reflector for my 4'wx4'dx6'h box. My friend suggested the XXXL 8" magnum reflector. I've heard good things about the radiant reflectors as well. For that size of a box with a single 1000w running in it which reflector would put the most light onto the buds and not onto the walls? I think that I would be able to get the XXXL reflector closer to the plants increasing the lumens but I'm not sure if light will be wasted on the walls... I've heard that the radiant reflector is like a spotlight on the plants.

Any hints, information, etc is appreciated.

Cheers

The first thing that comes to mind here, is that you have quite a small tent for that 1000w light... is this an enclosed hood/reflector you're planning to use? I'm using a tent exactly that same size, and with an open-type reflector, I can manage a 400w, but my 600w is too hot... but if you have your ventilation in order, you could still likely get away with it and maintain your temps.

You'll definitely have plenty of lumens in that space with a 1000w light though - be sure the walls are painted white or mylar'd.

...hope that helps!

Very true. 1kW will cook everything alive in this small space, unless your ventilation is extreme. 600W will struggle with heat unless very well ventilated. I've got a 1 meter sq. tent 2m high quite warm with 420W LED lights, which heat up much less. An option is a 600W in a cooltube and good fan or 2. It will be very warm in there, but probably not hot enough to take toll on the plants, as long as you supply enough water and airflow. Plan B, 2x 250W, to spread light more equally. A bit less heat, than 600W and more equal growth rate across all space. Plan C, would be LED. Expensive, but at higher wattages (300+W/1m.sq), nothing compares.

Definitely don't get the XXXL for a 4x4 space, waste of money. Get something like a Sunspot or Lumenaire, just a regular size reflector.

XXXL are better for commercial growers and/or lines of grow trays.

As mentioned be sure you have a strong enough fan and also I recommend getting yourself a dimmable ballast so if the 1000w is too hot you can bump down to 600w. Finally once you do get it, be sure to test the temperature by running fans etc before bringing in plants.

Get everything optimal as much as possible before bringing in the plants.

The first thing that comes to mind here, is that you have quite a small tent for that 1000w light... is this an enclosed hood/reflector you're planning to use? I'm using a tent exactly that same size, and with an open-type reflector, I can manage a 400w, but my 600w is too hot... but if you have your ventilation in order, you could still likely get away with it and maintain your temps.

You'll definitely have plenty of lumens in that space with a 1000w light though - be sure the walls are painted white or mylar'd.

...hope that helps!

Thank you. I do plan to have an enclosed vented reflector with a dedicated fan removing the heat just from the light. Then probably another couple of fans dedicated to ventilation purposes. I was thinking about potentially adding a portable AC unit inside of the space, which would take up room but would maintain the temps. I am going to be building the box so I can add space if need be for the ac unit. I will paint the walls white and potentially upgrade to mylar later down the road.

Very true. 1kW will cook everything alive in this small space, unless your ventilation is extreme. 600W will struggle with heat unless very well ventilated. I've got a 1 meter sq. tent 2m high quite warm with 420W LED lights, which heat up much less. An option is a 600W in a cooltube and good fan or 2. It will be very warm in there, but probably not hot enough to take toll on the plants, as long as you supply enough water and airflow. Plan B, 2x 250W, to spread light more equally. A bit less heat, than 600W and more equal growth rate across all space. Plan C, would be LED. Expensive, but at higher wattages (300+W/1m.sq), nothing compares.

I might go plan D of buying a portable AC hooked to a climate controller to kick on when I need cooling in the box. The increased expenses incurred just from the LEDs would probably be about the same if not more than a portable AC unit at this point. I'm not going for a pre-built tent so I can add more space for the AC unit when constructing the box itself.

Definitely don't get the XXXL for a 4x4 space, waste of money. Get something like a Sunspot or Lumenaire, just a regular size reflector.

XXXL are better for commercial growers and/or lines of grow trays.

As mentioned be sure you have a strong enough fan and also I recommend getting yourself a dimmable ballast so if the 1000w is too hot you can bump down to 600w. Finally once you do get it, be sure to test the temperature by running fans etc before bringing in plants.

Get everything optimal as much as possible before bringing in the plants.

I actually already have a dimmable lumatek ballast that dims to 600, 750, 1000, and super lumens. Establishing the temperatures was my buddies biggest struggle which he was trying to combat while he had plants and the plants themselves struggled. So I know where your coming from there.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom