Reflectors for micro grow?

Spliffd

Im trying to DIY a micro grow box 2'x1'X1' on a cheap budget and mylar is not in my price range at the moment. Here are a few thoughts and questions on reflective materials:

1. I've heard that foil is a big no-no in the grow community because of hot spots.
What about the shiny side of xmas wrap? That stuff seems pretty reflective?

2. What are your thoughts on using the windscreen sunshade reflector type stuff?

3. If I decide to go with paint, which Im leaning toward, does it have to be a particular type? I found some low sheen acrylic white paint, will that work?

4. Any entirely different but budget friendly ideas?

Spliffd

i've used flat white paint, worked good, an alternative is a space blanket from wal mart k mart ect. you can finf the space blankets in sporting goods area of large stores cost $ 1-2.

space blankets are thin survival mylar sheet, really cheap.

Panda film is only $1.50 per ft and thats 1ft by 10 ft so you would only need $3.00 to get 10' x 2' that will deffinately cover the grow box , if not try the inside of chip bags it will give you some crome mylar and if you need cheap reflectors for individual compact florescents take a can opener and cut the end off a pop can,wash it out and then cut a wondow and it will go right over the bulb and voila a reflector for free.

Thanks guys.

I had thought of the emegency blankets but couldnt any made of mylar. They were all made of a different material and I was a bit scared it was some type of foil = bad. Plus because they are folded, I thought the crease lines might cause hotspots from unequal light distribution.

Arent chip wrappers made of foil = bad?

The only place Ive tracked down mylar in my local area is at a garden/grow type store. It comes in rolls here and costs about $20us for much more than I need. Cant buy smaller amounts.

Ive decided to go with white paint - Im going to see if any friends have some lying around that I can use.

Great feedback guys - thanks heaps!!!

Back
Top Bottom